Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2005, 04:22 PM

Cat wont use cat flap

Hello there guys, we have recently moved house, since then we've had a few problem with getting the cat to use the cat flap. (bit of background info, She was kept in for two weeks we put flap in on 3rd week i walked with her outside alot... etc)

I thought maybe it was the Tom downstairs scaring her which 2 weeks ago we found sitting in our study! Well we hadn't seen him for a while then however Tuesday night we came home fairly late, and sat there at the top of our stairs was this blinking Tom cat again!!! We didn't have a water bottle so i just hissed at him and he ran (hobbled, he only has one front leg) out.
However in panic to see where my cat had gone i ran into the lounge to see her just waking up and stretching. Im confused as to how she didn't even realise he was there didn't she hear the cat flap go? shes usually very good with things like that. And im starting to wonder now if he is only in our house for a roof over his head at night rather than trying to terrorise my cat. However as much as i dont mind that i think the old lady downstairs will be upset by it (even though she boots him out at night) I mean does this theory sound feesable?

Anyway apart from all that we are on the next stage in moving her litter tray closer to the front door in a bid to make her start using the cat flap. Will this work, We have tried treats either side of the flap but she wont have it. She always used a cat flap in our old house, why is she not using it now?
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2005, 04:54 PM
The main reason is probably because she is a cat!
Not much use am I - but they are 'characters' and I can imagine she is still very put out by the move - they get attached to their homes and usual surroundings. She'll probably just use it when she is good and ready and when she thinks you have suffered enough!

I hope someone will come along who will be of more use than me. Good luck!
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

21-09-2005, 05:25 PM
when I moved into my house the first thing I got was a cat flap and it took my cats ages to get used to it - it wasn't until I just forgot about it that they started to use it.

What I did was I propped it open and kept it like this for awhile until they were using it regularly then they just got the hang of it.

What I've learned about cats is if you make a fuss about anything they will steer clear of it - I would just relax and forget about it - hopefully she will show more interest in the future in it
Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-09-2005, 09:30 AM
We didn't have any problems getting our cats used to the flap, but Milie (our JRT) couldn't get used to it untill we propped it open for a day or so, then one day she went out and we let the flap down and she just came back in through the flap, as if she had always done it. Don't worry it will happen. But knowing cats, it will be in her time (not yours).
Best Wishes.
AnneXX
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

25-09-2005, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by Anne
But knowing cats, it will be in her time (not yours).
Best Wishes.
AnneXX
That's so true! Cat's are so independent that they'll make you wait just to remind you!

Seriously tho give it time, at least a month or two I'd say...