Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2011, 04:14 PM
Wanted to add
(not directed at anyone - you see it on lots of forums)
One thing that REALLY gets my goat is when someone is in a flamewar with someone else, and one person makes such good points that the other person really has no comeback so they try and belittle the person with spelling or punctuation mistakes in their post
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2011, 04:36 PM
Google chrome - puts a red light under every mis-spelled word
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-11-2011, 04:56 PM
When i was a kid my mother used to make me read a dictionary so i knew how to spell words correctly and also to know its meaning...so i too am a bit OCD with spelling.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2011, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Only problem is it seems to use and American dictionary
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2011, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Yup - I loved it but I seem to have done something with my firewall that blocked me from running chrome and I cant get it back
It also dosent help whrn chrome is telling you its wrong but you cannot for the life of you see what the right one should be
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2011, 05:04 PM
Bad grammar grates on me more than spelling mistakes, although they grate on me too, and as for text talk on a forum, I just don't read it, can't be bothered.

I'm a stickler for those apostrophe marks too, I even put them on the END of a plural where necessary, but sometimes I feel embarrassed doing that, so I backspace it out, but why should I when that's the way we were taught the real English Language, and I loved every minute of it and will continue to use it always. I've never used any spellcheckers in my life, I have no need to, I can even spell chrysanthemum without looking it up lol!

Dave has an electronic spellchecker I bought him last Christmas, but he'll always come to me first to ask how to spell something. Then he questions it He says it doesn't "look" right So he double checks it on his little toy and yep, it's always right!
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-11-2011, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
Only problem is it seems to use and American dictionary
Yeah,they've never manage to grasp the fact its called the English language for a good reason and therefore should spell it the correct way...ours.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2011, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Yeah,they've never manage to grasp the fact its called the English language for a good reason and therefore should spell it the correct way...ours.
Collect I can't understand why anyone needs their own language when they can use "The Queen's English"
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2011, 05:43 PM
My Mum asked me the other night how to spell the word 'as'. I asked her if she was for real but apparently it didnt look right!

If somebody is dyslexic then absolutely fair enough but if misspelt words are down to pure laziness or not paying attention at school then that's a different matter.

I used to hate English at school and my teacher always used to tell me I needed to read more to improve my vocabulary, although I was always a good speller. Nowadays if I come across a word I dont know the meaning of or dont know how to spell then i'll go straight to my dictionary.
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2011, 05:46 PM
The only thing that really grates on me is people writing 'of' instead of 'have'. I know it's petty but it drives me up the wall!
Page 4 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »