Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Missysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-05-2008, 07:22 PM

Going In For Surgery

After months of unbearable pain , and having to take 27 tablets a day , I have finally got a date to go for surgery on my back. I had an appointment with a neurosurgeon on 15 April , and he told me then I was to have surgery , and that it would be done by June. He showed me the pictures from my MRI scan , which showed very clearly that I have a "significant disc protrusion". The part of the disc that has slipped out is huge ! It is compressing my sciatic nerve which is causing all the pain I have been suffering. The surgery is to cut away the protruding disc. That will take all the pressure off my sciatic nerve and hopefully , put an end to the excruciating pain . I got a letter from the hospital yesterday to say I will be admitted to hospital on Friday 23rd May. I have a pre-admission appointment on the Monday (19th) , where they will tell me more about my admission.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2008, 07:25 PM
I'm so pleased for you as I know the pain of sciatica.
I also know what wonderful things they can do with the spine after Charlie's op last November.
I know people who have had that op, and although a final resort it does work.
Wishing you well, it'll be worth it, you can't live your life on painkillers.
Becky x
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2008, 07:26 PM
Suzanne I wish you the very best of luck and a speedy recovery hun xxdk
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2008, 07:28 PM
Good luck, I hope you get sorted soon.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2008, 07:35 PM
Good Luck Suzanne I'll keep everything crossed for you xx
Missysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-05-2008, 08:10 PM
Thankyou all . My chiropracter didn't really want me to have surgery , but over the last few months , nothing has changed. I have tried cutting down the painkillers , and even tried taking them every 5 hours instead of 4. The pain just started to get bad again , and we're talking about completely unable able to walk pain ! After the results of my MRI , my chiropracter accepted that surgery is needed and I won't get any better without it. I have his full support and although I will have to stop going to him for 8 - 10 weeks , he will help me with my recovery after that. To be perfectly honest , my chiropracter has given me more help and support than anyone in the NHS. He has not been charging me for treatment since February even though I told him I feel bad about that. He told me not to even think about the money . He's a real gem , I've had over £1000 worth of treatment from him for nothing. I also have good support from my employer , Royal Mail. They paid for me to have a private MRI when the NHS were taking too long to give me an appointment. I have been back at work on rehab since February , working shorter hours and on very light duties. When I told my shift manager that I have to have surgery and that I would be off again , he was very nice about it and told me that was good news. He said that was positive as they want me back to full health with no pain too. Royal Mail are being so good about this that it makes the strikes we had last year seem stupid and trivial. Although it was about our pay , working conditions and changes to our pension scheme , I'm just glad that I have a job to go to and supportive employers to help me get better .