Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2011, 02:06 PM

Stud Enquiries

I get a few stud enquiries for Ross and Dice the majority of which I usually turn down because of how the bitch is bred.
I had an enquiry on Wednesday from some one who had a welsh had found me on the welshie website and wanted a local stud dog. Didnt care who it was as long as it was local The bitch had no health checks but he was prepared to do them if he could find a stud locally.
I explained that wasnt how you find a stud dog but couldnt seem to get through. I also explained that not all bitches were good enough to be bred from but his breeder (no affix, doesnt health test etc etc) had told him when he bought the bitch she was pretty enough to breed from !!!!
Obviously I turned him down but now I'm thinking perhaps I should have tried harder to disuade him he's going to carry on ringing round till he comes across and idiot like himself who will say yes and we have loads of problems at the moment with epilepsy and I did spot a carrier in the ped.
Just wondered what everyone else would have done.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2011, 02:14 PM
He'd have got a half researched, half knowledgeable (haven't got a clue about breeding, only see the shocking result of bsb from the rescue side) but enthusiastic lecture from me !

Be proud you are one of the ethical, decent people, thank god, well done. Don't be too hard on yourself that you didn't say more, they wouldn't have listened and would have gone on to do it anyway no doubt But if you hear off him again, then I would say something, or spread the bad word about him to your breed contacts, pre warning them x
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2011, 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
He'd have got a half researched, half knowledgeable (haven't got a clue about breeding, only see the shocking result of bsb from the rescue side) but enthusiastic lecture from me !

Be proud you are one of the ethical, decent people, thank god, well done. Don't be too hard on yourself that you didn't say more, they wouldn't have listened and would have gone on to do it anyway no doubt But if you hear off him again, then I would say something, or spread the bad word about him to your breed contacts, pre warning them x
Thank were such a small breed I've spread the word around and I suspect he wont be prepared to travel very far. I partly blame the breeder who sold him the bitch she's quite well known for not health testing, inter breeding and using rescue to move bitches on after they've done breeding (always has a viable excuse you we cant turn her down).
What worries me is he'll go find an unsuitable dog and cause more problems he was actually gob smacked when I turned him down,
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2011, 02:55 PM
I'm really not sure that you could have done anything more.

Unfortunately many people see breeding as a way to get back the money they paid out for the dog in the first place (even my younger brother said the same about using his springer as a stud dog....but at least he did listen to me).

If he's only looking locally, do you know whether he's likely to find another stud dog?
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2011, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
I'm really not sure that you could have done anything more.

Unfortunately many people see breeding as a way to get back the money they paid out for the dog in the first place (even my younger brother said the same about using his springer as a stud dog....but at least he did listen to me).

If he's only looking locally, do you know whether he's likely to find another stud dog?
Not sure to be honest because three of the top breeders live locally there's a few welsh around here in for the want of a better word "pet homes".
Wont be one of mine though there all restricted not to be bred from.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2011, 05:35 PM
You did the right things Jacquie...I was always getting calls from people wanting to use my dogs, they didn't care which one, theirs weren't health tested so they weren't even bothered if I had something that wasn't KC registered....I dealt with them in a swift manner
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2011, 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
I get a few stud enquiries for Ross and Dice the majority of which I usually turn down because of how the bitch is bred.
I had an enquiry on Wednesday from some one who had a welsh had found me on the welshie website and wanted a local stud dog. Didnt care who it was as long as it was local The bitch had no health checks but he was prepared to do them if he could find a stud locally.
I explained that wasnt how you find a stud dog but couldnt seem to get through. I also explained that not all bitches were good enough to be bred from but his breeder (no affix, doesnt health test etc etc) had told him when he bought the bitch she was pretty enough to breed from !!!!
Obviously I turned him down but now I'm thinking perhaps I should have tried harder to disuade him he's going to carry on ringing round till he comes across and idiot like himself who will say yes and we have loads of problems at the moment with epilepsy and I did spot a carrier in the ped.
Just wondered what everyone else would have done.
what more could you do?

the breeder of his dog should be ashamed

...word needs to needs put about imo... surely if someone explained the epilepsy risk he may think twice?....ud hope

... so sad exp in a relatively small breed like this
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2011, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
what more could you do?

the breeder of his dog should be ashamed

...word needs to needs put about imo... surely if someone explained the epilepsy risk he may think twice?....ud hope

... so sad exp in a relatively small breed like this
The breeders well know hun and not particularily popular, in fact thats a bit of an understatement lol
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2011, 08:16 PM
The worst enquires huh.. not alot you can do, and I am sure you will soon see puppies from this female advertised has happened to us before and not so long ago, of course we turned the owner down, as along side other stuff our boys are not up for public stud. There is now a 'rare' litter of puppies up for sale from the female..Makes you mad doesnt it. argh.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2011, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
Not sure to be honest because three of the top breeders live locally there's a few welsh around here in for the want of a better word "pet homes".
Wont be one of mine though there all restricted not to be bred from.
They could still be used though---just the pups not registered with the KC.

That wouldn't deter some people.

rune
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >