Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2010, 06:48 AM

Prevention of skin condition?

Hi guys,

It's coming up to 'that time of the year' when Takara gets 'dally rash' (short hair folliculitis) and it looks disgusting. Thankfully it doesn't really bother her but I'd so love some pics of her in the sun without manky lumps all over her head!

Once she has it, there's no getting rid of it, but I just wondered if anyone had any ideas of supplements/herbs etc that I could give her before to try to prevent it?

She's on hypoallergenic food, I don't really know what it is - it just comes up in the summer and I thought it was linked to seasons but she's continued since spaying and she's recently had her 'phantom season' and no dally rash so it must be something to do with the weather!

It's a long shot I know...
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2010, 04:18 PM
might not be much help but you could try evening primrose capsules, one 500mg every day. This helped loads with Fred when he was a scabby itchy pup and believe it or not I recently came out in eczema on my legs, docs advised trying evening primrose and 2 weeks later it's almost gone.
Long shot but might be worth a try, I just got asda's own about £2 for 90 tabs
KateM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-03-2010, 06:52 PM
Definately try evening primrose - and not just internally - break open a capsule and drip it onto any sores she gets - it will clear it up sooner (don't let the other's lick it off mind).

Is it worth sticking her on piriton in the run up to it?
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2010, 06:17 AM
Fabulous - thanks!

I did wonder about piriton - we have it in for emergencies as we know she's severely allergic to something but don't know what.

Only thing is I don't know how much to give her... any ideas? She's 27kg.

Thanks for the tip about Evening Primrose - I shall try that!

I also asked her breeder about it so I'll see what she says too.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-03-2010, 08:20 AM
I use Starflower oil on Finn for his skin if it flares up along with EPO tablets. It is similar to EPO but contains a higher about of GLA.
miles1
Dogsey Junior
Male 

27-03-2010, 03:05 PM
i give my dogs VCO (Virgin Coconut oil) mix to their food 3 to 4 times a week for skin and coat care. so far so good.

let me share this:

Virgin Coconut oil
Health Benefits for Your Pet
When fed regularly to dogs, coconut has proven benefits:

•Clears up skin conditions such as eczema flea allergies, contact dermatitis, and itchy skin.
•Improves overall coat condition, thickness, texture and growth
•Deodorizes and eliminates odor
•Reduces bad breath
•Regulate and balance insulin and thyroid levels
•Help with arthritis or ligament problems

source: mightymitedoggear.com

and this video from youtube
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2010, 05:37 PM
Thanks for all the info guys - much appreciated!
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2010, 09:09 AM
Evening Primrose is definitely a good idea, Lottie. Agree with the others.

Also, have a look on the Dorwest Herbs site. I love their stuff and use some of it on my two. They're very good and their supplements etc have always worked with both Molly and Roxy.

As you'll know, Westies are very prone to skin conditions so I've always tried my best to prevent them for Molly and, thankfully, after almost 7 years, my efforts seem to have been successful! (Touch wood!).

Hope you manage to keep T's folicles under control this year!
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2010, 12:50 PM
re piriton, Mya's 31kgs and vet said 1 or 2 tabs every 8 hours (depending on how bad Mya had severe allergic reaction and swelled). I just used 1 every 8 hours with Mya. Can make them sleepy though so just be warned I've never seen Mya so quiet
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2010, 11:33 PM
Only thing is I don't know how much to give her... any ideas? She's 27kg.
Normal adult [Boxer size] dog - our Katie is light at 23 kilos can have 2 Piriton 3 times a day. Max dose. Try one 3 times a day at first. It can make them sleepy but then they get used to it.

Allergy season is starting already as Katie is already on Piriton.

Is folliculitis similar to hot spots, I googled it and it brought up pictures of hot spots. After much investigations and trials and errors I concluded in Harvey's case he had a problem with fat absortion and I took him off a regular diet and put him onto Royal Canin Light and he is doing better on it than he has ever done on any food. Being white and short haired you can see every blemish

I give all ours Eve Prim Oil, plus Vit E capsule per day.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >