Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2007, 07:56 PM

Should Breeders enforce neutering of pups

What do you think?
Should Breeders state in the sales agreement that it has to be done?
Does it make the new owner irresponsible if they don't agree?
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2007, 08:05 PM
Hmmm it's difficult really. I don't think that it should be in the agreement that it 'has' to be done, but I do think that they should highlight the advantages.
AussieGeek
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-06-2007, 08:06 PM
Some breeders already do. But I think that it is up to the breeder.
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-06-2007, 08:31 PM
Yes, I also think they should follow up to make sure it has been done. I don't think a breeder can honestly say they don't add to the unwanted dog problem unless they ensure their dogs in pet homes aren't bred from.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2007, 08:56 PM
If all the responsibly bred pedigree dogs were neutered, all that we would have would be irresponsibly bred cross breeds! who enforces the breeding of these? especially when they are the majority of rescues problems anyway.
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

10-06-2007, 09:00 PM
I personally would not buy from a breeder if this was stated in the sales agreement, and I don't consider this makes me an irresponsible owner. I have been in dogs for well over 30 years and any dog/bitch I have had have never been neutered except for medical reasons and in all this time I have never had any accidental matings or produced any pups which have ended up in rescue. I would take it as an insult if I was asked to sign such an agreement. I have never bred and I have no intention of ever breeding from any bitch I have bought nor using any dog I have as a stud dog, but I feel I should still have the option as an owner of deciding whether to spay/neuter and not be bound by such an agreement.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2007, 09:54 PM
Good thread Sal

No, I wouldn't buy from a breeder who made such an enforcement, I too only have mine neutered for medical reasons, even though I have only bred from two of my girls, one boy has been used at stud 3 times (once by me)and another has been used once (by me). Out of my 12 dogs/bitches they are all entire bar 2 and I don't have litter after litter out of them, even though I could if I were that way inclined

I wouldn't dream of putting such an enforcement on pups that I sell, I do put a restriction on that they shouldn't be bred from until they have had all health tests performed with satisfactory results, and the new owners sign a declaration to state that they fully understand my reasons for this and agree to abide by them.

I would be happy to sign a similar declaration if I were purchasing a pup, but certainly wouldn't buy if I were told it had to be neutered.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2007, 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
If all the responsibly bred pedigree dogs were neutered, all that we would have would be irresponsibly bred cross breeds! who enforces the breeding of these? especially when they are the majority of rescues problems anyway.
And what do crossbreeds come from....
Hewey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-06-2007, 10:18 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
And what do crossbreeds come from....
From other cross breeds or irresponsibly bred predigree dogs.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2007, 10:21 PM
As I will never breed, [ no not even if I had a likely Crufts winner or any dog otherwise considered to be an exceptional example of a breed ], if I bought from a breeder [ which I wont so its a hypothetical response ], I would happily sign such a clause and would have it done.

I would think, at the very least, if a breeder sold a pup with endorsements which they would remove if health tests and quality of a dog they sold were all good for breeding, that they could also include a clause stating that any pup not passing health tests for breeding must be neutered.
Jmo :smt001
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 > Last »