Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2011, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by anotherjane View Post
My dog has had this problem all his life. The vet said it is a commom promlem with german shepherds. It could be a skin infection and there are antiboitics that really seem to help my dog. Check for flakey skin or red lines in the groin area.
I haven't noticed any flaky skin or red lines, but will definitely check.

I haven't noticed a change in the itching since he has been on Yumega Plus, but his coat is really thick and shiny!
Dolce
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-10-2011, 02:34 PM
We've had a week of it with maddie, vet diagnosed it as a hot spot, so.far the treatment is working. Google canine hotspot, warning the pics are gruesome. We came home from work to find she had near scalped herself. Once cleaned up it didn't look so bad, but what a fright we got. Just have to hope it doesn't return, and the fur comes back in time.
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-10-2011, 03:30 PM
Hi Kirsty
I did have a dog with severe adverse reactions to most meat proteins and dust mites - histamines dont work as it tends to be an exegerated immune response and an increase in anti-bodies not histamine that atacks the dog from inside out - it s like the immune system goes into overdrive, I maintained him on Duck/rice based food with daily steroids to suppress the immune system, I also damp dusted and vacummed several times a day and sprayed the house with Indorex every 28 days
Hope your lad doesnt have the same problem as mine did, as it is life threatening
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2011, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by Dolce View Post
We've had a week of it with maddie, vet diagnosed it as a hot spot, so.far the treatment is working. Google canine hotspot, warning the pics are gruesome. We came home from work to find she had near scalped herself. Once cleaned up it didn't look so bad, but what a fright we got. Just have to hope it doesn't return, and the fur comes back in time.
Poor Maddie, that sounds horrible Thankfully, it doesn't sound like Yogi's problem though.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2011, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by wildmoor View Post
Hi Kirsty
I did have a dog with severe adverse reactions to most meat proteins and dust mites - histamines dont work as it tends to be an exegerated immune response and an increase in anti-bodies not histamine that atacks the dog from inside out - it s like the immune system goes into overdrive, I maintained him on Duck/rice based food with daily steroids to suppress the immune system, I also damp dusted and vacummed several times a day and sprayed the house with Indorex every 28 days
Hope your lad doesnt have the same problem as mine did, as it is life threatening
OMG - don't scare me Pam What were the symptoms that your dog had? Was there a test the vet did to determine what was wrong? I am going to ring the vet tomorrow! I was going to wait until he came up to the farm to do some blood testing on our ewes in the next week or two, but think I will drop him down into the surgery after reading this.
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-10-2011, 07:07 PM
i think if your lad had the same you would know by now, all friction areas were bald through scratching biting etc, extreme hunger, difficulties in maintaing weight, skin wise it would go purple in colour, undercoat would fall out, bacterial & fungal skin infections (again you will know as skin will be wet) started age of 2yrs on a dog who had been raised raw initial allergies were white fish, chicken, turkey & dust mites he went on to have allergies against lamb, sheep, venison and adverse reaction to beef, I had testing he was started on Atopica but that caused seizures so was stopped for the last 2 1/2 yrs of his life he was maintained on daily steroid & duck/rice complete, he then went on to develop Heamolytic Anemia
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2011, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by wildmoor View Post
i think if your lad had the same you would know by now, all friction areas were bald through scratching biting etc, extreme hunger, difficulties in maintaing weight, skin wise it would go purple in colour, undercoat would fall out, bacterial & fungal skin infections (again you will know as skin will be wet) started age of 2yrs on a dog who had been raised raw initial allergies were white fish, chicken, turkey & dust mites he went on to have allergies against lamb, sheep, venison and adverse reaction to beef, I had testing he was started on Atopica but that caused seizures so was stopped for the last 2 1/2 yrs of his life he was maintained on daily steroid & duck/rice complete, he then went on to develop Heamolytic Anemia
Gosh - that sounds awful Pam Your poor dog and you. Thankfully I don't think this is Yogi's problem, as he doesn't have any of those symptoms - he is just a nibbly, scratchy boy I am still going to take him in tomorrow though and see what the vet thinks. Isn't it notoriously difficult to pinpoint what is causing an allergy though? I haven't actually tried Piriton yet though, so will.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2011, 07:38 PM
Len has hot spots which can be controlled by Prednisolone, but they have their side effects too.

I have a Quistel spray ready for the next bout of itching, which has started already - just one week after stopping the Preds.
Dolce
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-10-2011, 07:43 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Poor Maddie, that sounds horrible Thankfully, it doesn't sound like Yogi's problem though.
I hope you get to the bottom of it. xx
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3