Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2004, 01:24 PM
hello all.
nice to have so many replies!
she tends to bite herself more just before she settles down to go to sleep. This isn't always in her bed by the way.
She has a nice soft shiny coat and she hasnt caused any reddening that i can see? Does she think she's really dirty or sumin? lol.
At the moment i feed her on Butchers Puppy wet food, mixed in with a bit of dry food also.
I have changed her food once since ive had her and shes been doing it from the very beginning.
perhaps im jus worryin for nothin!
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2004, 04:35 PM
Jenny do you or your neighbours have cats?
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2004, 11:10 AM
yeh i have a neighbour who has a cat. but it doesnt go anywhere near her, and dont see it very often.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2004, 11:31 AM
The reason I asked is that although the pup may not have fleas it's self it may be getting the odd bite by a flea that hops on bites and hops off, the pup/dog develops a reaction to the flea saliva. If it is a neighbours cat that is leaving the odd flea in a patch of grass it is difficult to do anything about it. There is a chance that the flea may have come into the house therefore I would suggest that you spray the home rather than the dogs. Do not wash the dogs bed in biological powder and do not use any chemical on any carpets or rugs your may have, not even Febreze.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-07-2004, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by jenny6165
hello all.
nice to have so many replies!
she tends to bite herself more just before she settles down to go to sleep. This isn't always in her bed by the way.
She has a nice soft shiny coat and she hasnt caused any reddening that i can see? Does she think she's really dirty or sumin? lol.
At the moment i feed her on Butchers Puppy wet food, mixed in with a bit of dry food also.
I have changed her food once since ive had her and shes been doing it from the very beginning.
Hi Jenny, if there is no sign of irritation or red areas on your puppy and you say her coat is good and shines , I would not do anything at the moment just keep a close eye for a few days .I certainly would not want to spray any chemicals around her She may just be a careful groomer some dogs are. If the problem continues and you are concerned go back to the vet and as Shadow says ask for a skin scrape. You also say the vet has seen her and says all is ok?I would see how it goes over the next few days...just keep checking for any signs of irritation
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2004, 03:30 PM
Was not suggesting you spray around the dog, you spray the home shut it up and then ventilate before anyone or thing goes back in. It is no good treating the dog for fleas if you do not treat the house and if you treat the house you do not need to treat the dog. And yes speak to the vet but skin irritation is the most difficult thing to treat and eliminating the most likely first is a good idea. Some dogs just seem to be born with skin that is sensitive to everything
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-07-2004, 07:28 AM
Originally Posted by jenny6165
she tends o bite herself more just before she settles down to go to sleep. This isn't always in her bed by the way.
She has a nice soft shiny coat and she hasnt caused any reddening that i can see?
Hi Jenny, how is it going?
Often dogs have a good groom before they go to sleep as you say above. Sorry had to rush off yesterday before I finished posting. Can I just summarise the situation as I see it..
Puppy..
Has been flea treated,
Has no signes of skin irritation,
Has a health coat,
Has seen a vet.
Her bedding is natural fibre (ie cotton towel) or not any allogenic man made fibre,
Problem could be..
Skin allergy,
Food alergy,
Over grooming.
I would not want to introduce any chemicals into the equasion at this stage in what might be a sensitive puppy.
So..observe for any tiny red areas or sign of irritation. If you find any go back to the vet, if you do not find any but are still concerned the grooming is excessive go back to your vet and talk to him, get a skin scrape as SB suggested and think about changing to a food without additives or feed fresh food. Hope your puppy settles soon
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2