Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2012, 08:59 PM

A Wee Altercation

Mother had her occupational nurse visit today so, pleased with some time off, I decided to take Rue for a walk round the High Street.

First stop, a charity shop where I'd reserved a throw that perfectly matches Mum's sofa. Dogs allowed in, so Rue got a fuss from the staff.

Next, popped into the pet shop for some more tripe sticks (dogs allowed in but not advisable for Rue as she's not keen on the shop dog, Colin).

Now what? Thought we'd take a stroll around the Outlet Shopping Village attached to the High Street, for a bit of window shopping.

Not many shoppers out at all - almost none in fact. Mind you, it was 4pm on a fairly ordinary Thursday afternoon. Didn't fancy going any of the shops even though some of them welcome dogs in, and have bowls of water beside the door.

I felt the lead tighten and turned round to see Rue doing a very large wee in the middle of the pavement. Just as she did so, a tall woman strode past, and well....... you just KNOW certain people are going to "say something" don't you? You can see where this is going...

"Are dogs allowed in this part of the Village?" she demanded. "I thought they weren't!"

"Yes, they are," I said confidently. "They once weren't, but they now are."

"Oh. Hmmm," she said, and almost left it there, but I saw her eyes flick over to Rue's puddle.

I was ready for her.
"And before you say anything, I always pick up my dog's poo, but I'm afraid picking up a wee just isn't possible," I told her.

"Yes well," said the snotty woman: "I thought that's why they were banned from here, so we don't have to prep through piles of dog poop!"

"And I already told you, I am more than happy to pick up my dog's poo, but a wee is quite another thing."

She waved her hand impatiently. "I meant, not having to wade through all the wee as well!" she retorted and turned her back on me.

So to stop myself laughing, I informed her retreating back as she marched into M&S, that if she had any issues, to take it up with the Village management....

I'm afraid I found it all too bizarre... there were no other people around, no other dogs - and it's not the kind of place that is inundated with dogs even when at it's busiest.

I admit I would have preferred Rue to widdle elsewhere but as she is an elderly rescue, and has a habit of just going when she wants on pathways and pavements (possibly a result of being permanently kennelled in her past life) there's not much I can do about it.

I have to wonder though: does the lady fear to tread in a field, in case she is walking on cow pee?
twilightwolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-01-2012, 09:05 PM
unusual woman. She must be related to the woman the other week who looked at me disgusted and made funny noises when i did pick up my dogs poo in a bag.

I understand dogs, but i just don't get some people.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2012, 09:20 PM
I have to wonder though: does the lady fear to tread in a field, in case she is walking on cow pee?

That is not really very fair though is it?

After all, if you are walking through a field you EXPECT to find pee in there AND you would be wearing appropriate footwear so, TBH, I can see her point.

I would not be taking a dog that had thhis sort of habit into this environment myself, there is enough anti dog feeling as it is without deliberately adding to it.

So I am afraid I am on the woman's side. When I go to somewhere like Clarks Village, I go there to shop, not to avoid the mess left by incontinent dogs.
DoKhyi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-01-2012, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by twilightwolf View Post
unusual woman. She must be related to the woman the other week who looked at me disgusted and made funny noises when i did pick up my dogs poo in a bag.

I understand dogs, but i just don't get some people.
I love people that do that. Especially their faces when I tie a knot in the the nappy sack, smile beatifically at them, then swing the bag by it's handles round my finger like a gunslinger and slide it into my coat pocket.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2012, 09:42 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
So I am afraid I am on the woman's side. When I go to somewhere like Clarks Village, I go there to shop, not to avoid the mess left by incontinent dogs.
Oddly enough, I had an idea you'd say something like that
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-01-2012, 09:55 PM
When you've gotta go, you've gotta go!

Some people just like to have something to moan about.
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2012, 09:58 PM
What did she expect you to do! Magically pull a mop and bucket out your pocket? If i go to get the train somewhere (dog walk etc..) then i have to walk along the main street to get there and its almost always gaurenteed ty will poop, no matter if he has had 3 already, i just pick it up and bin it. I once had a guy go eww your picking that up? He got a swift reply of yes its the law
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2012, 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post

I try to remember that not EVERYONE is a dog lover and to see things from their point of view..........

There are more and more places where dogs are NOT allowed, and it is becoming increasingly difficult to take dogs to many areas off lead and even on lead, I try not to give the anti dog brigade any more ammunition with which to fire at us............

Seems like common sense to me.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2012, 10:11 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
Ditto.

C'mon, it's a bit of wet!
I'm sure the drunks do more nasty things on a weekend when they are out!

My boys cock their leg on EVERY lamp post/bin etc!
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2012, 10:17 PM
She's lucky she doesn't live round here then, on the rare occasions I venture into town I have to keep a careful watch for chewing gum, spit, broken glass, vomit, last nights kebabs, soggy cigarette butts and blood from a punch up the night before. In comparison, dog pee is probably preferable
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »