View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
vickybits
New Member!
Female 

05-12-2009, 10:41 PM

breeds designed to pull! (duplicate threads merged)

Hello folks im new to the site and was looking for advice,
i have 2 puppies a yr old parsons jack russell and 5 month old huskamute, they are both walked on halti as they are both bad at pulling (yes even the little one) the jack russell walks perfectly with it on, however the huskamute still pulls quite bad, i know its in his nature but if there is anything i could do, coz at the mo i hate walking him. The halti ends up covering his eye and he looks uncomfortable with it and it does bother him alot, however if i walk him without it i am beeing dragged along. I have been advised by folk that a harness is a definate no as this encourages his instinct to pull.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2009, 11:23 PM
I use an Easy Walker harness for Jess, where you attach the lead to the front, so it is much much harder for them to pull as they can't get their body behind it.

If you go to the "Friends of Fido" website, they have them on there.
vickybits
New Member!
Female 

05-12-2009, 11:58 PM
I aslo seen a product called a gentle leader? Is this not the same as a halti?
If so this is what i use so perhaps a easy walker may be best
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2009, 12:19 AM
hi

with time and patience any dog can be taught to walk to heel,northern breeds aren't designed to pull,that's not what makes them good at their job
they can just be a tad more stubborn than most and you have to 'think out of the box' occasionally to what makes them tick
with my sibes(who are also trained to work in harness) i teach the close command,we only walk forward when the dog is by my side,if they move in front i simply walk backwards untill they are back to the position i want,i immediately start walking forward again at that point(reward/praise reinforce close heel etc)
its funny to see their face at first,and you need double the time to get anywhere to begin with,but perseverance does pay of with these types
good luck
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2009, 12:34 PM
Hi,

I'd advise you to buy the harness that Jen uses and take the advice of Tupac.

Also, please don't use the halti if you know your dogs are going to pull regardless. They can hurt themselves and do damage should they continue to pull hard with something wrapped around their head/face. If the halti is moving over the eyes of hte dog then it's ewither not fitted properly or it's the wrong size. Alternatively, you could just have breeds who are the "wrong" size and shape for a halti.

Laura xx
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-12-2009, 12:45 PM
whilst training them, you need to walk them separately