View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-11-2009, 04:58 AM
Hi, Dizzy was spayed 10 days ago. She came home that night and was fine, very sleepy. She normally goes completely wild with the kids when she sees them but wasn't really that interested. I have found the first night wasn't a problem, I just carried her outside for a wee and she slept by my bed all night, no fuss at all. But the keeping her quiet bit no chance! Within 2 days she was back to normal, trying to stop her jumping etc is like fighting a losing battle!

I am sure it will all go well on Monday but I know how stressed you will be! I would bring her home she will be happier with you!

Good luck xx
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2009, 06:17 AM
I would be happy to let a bitch stay overnight, Aitch. They really are in the best place, and you know they're in good hands. If you trust your vet like I trust mine, then I say go for it.

Hugs honey - I know how fretful it can be

x0x0x
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2009, 07:20 AM
I think it isn't essential that Zena stays in (no I am not a vet or anyone with any acclaim to have the knowledge of one ) but in seeing it from where you are coming from, it wouldn't hurt
- you would rest easier
- Zena would rest up and not have so much stimulation, so she won't get hyperactive
- if she is feeling worse for wear (even with the good anesthetic) she can just lay up and not go looking for you or want to follow you around.
- I know my vet lives at the back of the surgery, and does checks at night frequently, his wife is also a vet so they interchange so they get some sleep, so as long as Zena is checked regularly over night it could be a good environment for her.
Hugs to you and Zena, but it will be over soon and you can spoil her rotten as you feel like you did something mean (which you didn't) and she will still ove you just as much when she comes home.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-11-2009, 10:38 AM
I wouldn't bank on her being drowsy afterwards, that varies from dog to dog and the amount of anaestetic given surely. I was asked to go and pick Rio up early as she was singing her head off, so she was home a couple of hours after the op. She came out of the vets like a bat out of hell tbh. but that's Rio all over, everything is done at warp speed. She was actually relatively easy to keep calm, once I'd removed her bucket and put a t-shirt on her to protect her wound. I slept on the sofa with her on her bed in the lounge for about a week, but she didn't resume normal off lead charging about for 28 days after the op.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-11-2009, 11:04 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Zena is being speyed on Monday plus I'm getting her hernia fixed, and I've just been on a brilliant vet's website explaining everything, so I've frightened myself to death already! Anyways, he says, he recommends keeping them in overnight, not because he wants our money, but because he wants to make sure they are kept quiet during the critical stage, i.e. the clotting process, because he says although this is a relatively safe operation, that's only because they do it on such a regular basis, but actually it is a very serious operation because they have to go so deep inside the intestinal cavity to get to the womb etc.

Now I'm wondering whether I should in fact, ask them to keep her in overnight? She's such a loonatic when her dad appears, and although she'll be half out of it when we pick her up the same day, she'll still go nuts when she see's him let alone both of us together, so maybe it would be better for them to keep her? I'm going to ask the vet anyway when I see him first thing Monday prior to her op, but I just thought I'd get some input from you guys, i.e. the pro's and con's??? Oh dear, I'm already a nervous wreck and it's only Friday!!!!
Hi Helena, worrying time for you I know, but personally unless there where complications , I would bring her home,

I am sure you have faith in your vet, and if you feel its the best thing, then allow her to stay.

I know she is a lunatic and will get over excited when she sees you, but she will do that even when you pick her up the next day... at least on the day of the op, she will still be groggy from the anesthetic, which will slow her down a bit.

From my experience with bitches being spayed, they recover very well, and if the vet gives her lasting pain relief before she comes home, she would (in my opinion) be better off at home.

What ever you do is fine, good luck,
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2009, 01:48 PM
Thanks for all this wonderful support and advice, all taken onboard, and I think I'll just play it by ear on the day, and if all is well, and they say there is absolutely no reason to have her staying in, then I'll be picking her up. Dave has already booked my bed for next week upstairs, so I can be down her with her, but because she got him up most of the night (just really social visits, she didn't want to go out, as soon as he got to the back door she would go back to bed!!!! They do that with HIM though, they won't try that one on me!!!) He's going to try shutting his door tonight, and let me be on night duty, and I sleep so heavily, but, when she was a puppy, I would wake up instantly if ever she cried in her crate and I'd come flying downstairs, so hopefully, if I hear her tonight, I might not have to sleep in his room next week, coz he doesn't like it upstairs, he says it's too hot, but then he's a man!

So far so good, I keep putting it to the back of my mind, in the hope that I'll be fine right up until the time comes to leave her on Monday and I'll come back home and keep myself busy cleaning (my friends want me to go out but I said no, just in case, and they said I'd say that!!!).

Christ, how many bitches have I had speyed in the past and I'm like this with Zena Tara was speyed at 13 with pyo when another vet wanted to put her ts there and then, but I said no! Another dog had pyo at only 2 years old and had to be emergency speyed, then of course there was Cassie who had only just recovered from being on a drip for 5 days at the vet from eating that poisoned bait so if I had anything to worry about, back then was the time,not with a fit and healthy young boistrous puppy surely!!! Calm down H!!!!!!

Thanks again all of you, but no doubt I'll be back here on Monday, when I'm sitting here quiverring like a jelly instead of cleaning the house!!! As long as I stay in here and steer clear of Google I should be ok though! xxxx
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2009, 01:58 PM
I would only allow one of mine to stay overnight if I knew there was someone on site all the time(which there is at my vets)A friend had her dog died whilst at the vets overnight & all they could tell her was he was alive at 8pm & dead at 7am !
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2009, 02:03 PM
Oh poor you H. It is always a worry when they have to go into the vets for an op, even a routine one like this. I do feel for you.

I would say you are doing everything right though - just wait and see what your vet says on the day of the spay and then take it from there.

Loads of positive thoughts heading Zena's way for a problem-free spay.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2009, 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
I would only allow one of mine to stay overnight if I knew there was someone on site all the time(which there is at my vets)A friend had her dog died whilst at the vets overnight & all they could tell her was he was alive at 8pm & dead at 7am !
Oh don't scare me like that please Dyanne!!!! I'm bad enough as it is!! No, mine is a RCVS HOSPITAL, so they're gonna have staff on all night, you can knock on their door at 3.00 am if you so wish, so I'm ok there anyways...... unless they sleep if it's quiet though No,I think more and more I'm deciding to bring her home!

Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Oh poor you H. It is always a worry when they have to go into the vets for an op, even a routine one like this. I do feel for you.

I would say you are doing everything right though - just wait and see what your vet says on the day of the spay and then take it from there.

Loads of positive thoughts heading Zena's way for a problem-free spay.
Thanks Kirsty, it's such a worry, but only coz she's so very special to me, and as stupid as it sounds, I've got this silly thing going on in my head that she was only sent to me to get me through this past year....... well, you know.... especially after her flaking out on me like that, that morning and almost dying and I prayed and prayed for him not to take her yet, to give me more time with her, so it's still ongoing you see in this stupid head of mine, I wish it would go away, and it will when this is all over I'm sure!!!!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2009, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Oh don't scare me like that please Dyanne!!!! I'm bad enough as it is!! No, mine is a RCVS HOSPITAL, so they're gonna have staff on all night, you can knock on their door at 3.00 am if you so wish, so I'm ok there anyways...... unless they sleep if it's quiet though No,I think more and more I'm deciding to bring her home!
My friend's dog wasn't in for elective surgery like neutering so IMHO there should have been 24/7 observation.

Don't worry too much, but I think that they do recover quicker at home.
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >