View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
CBT
Dogsey Senior

01-02-2005, 09:55 PM

Does anyone ever fast their dogs?

I usually give my dogs a day each week when they just get raw bones from the butchers and none of their usual food, does anyone else ever do this?
I find it makes them much more keen to eat the whole bone as opposed to just having a little chew on it like they do if you gigve them bones and their normal dinner, and the next day they are very bright eyed and bushy tailed and keen for their dinner, I have done this for years and it always seems to do my dogs good, anyone else do this?

I would just like to add that i only do this with my adult dogs who are in fit condition and I would never do it or reccommend doing it with pups, or in whelp/whelping bitches.

Any thoughts?
weight_watcher
New Member!

01-02-2005, 10:13 PM
Well each to there own,myself iv'e never fed bones,i choose to feed a good quality kibble the amount depends on the dog itself,i also feed pasta brown rice and veg,and i always use the water the veg is boiled in.Some dogs hold weight more than others and some condition easyer than others its a case of trial and error....
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2005, 10:17 PM
WW
what proportions of kibble to rice & veggies do you feed in say a week?
CBT
Dogsey Senior

01-02-2005, 10:21 PM
my dogs just love bones! they go nuts when they hear me rustling the bag they eat them right down til theres just a wee bit left in a semi circle shape where theyve gnawed out the middle, then their party trick is usually to get it stuck on the end of their noses trying to get the last bit of goodness out
It makes my life easier too, nice small compact solid jobbies very easy to pick up with the shovel compared to the usual big browners they do
Its good for their teeth too, my dogs have all got really nice white teeth and their breath smells ok (for a dog)
I have found the best food for putting weight on dogs is tripe but god it stinks!!! :smt078 beef and chicken are not too bad but tripe seems to be the best to beef a dog up quickly, I like to beef them up while they are growing pups then when they get to about 3/4 grown I start doing a bit more than just walking I start giving them some running and play with a ball and then build it up gradually and ration out their food til I get them at just the right weight. there is nothing worse than an overweight dog, my mate keeps her dog far too fat I am always saying to her she is spoiling a decent dog and she will kill her with kindness but she wont listen
craig
Dogsey Junior

02-02-2005, 02:19 PM
i just feed my dogs only raw meaty bones, usely turkey necks. and fast them one day a week.
see web site raw meaty bones
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2005, 02:51 PM
Raw meaty bones are a regular part of my dogs diet anyway so I don't see a 'bone' day as a fasting.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2005, 03:11 PM
I only fast them if they have diahorrea and feel guilty at doing that
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-02-2005, 03:17 PM
Star fasts herself at least once every few weeks She will go 24hours without eating.
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2005, 04:41 PM
Sme here Julie...I fast them if the dogs have an upset tummy
CBT
Dogsey Senior

04-02-2005, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by Archer
Raw meaty bones are a regular part of my dogs diet anyway so I don't see a 'bone' day as a fasting.
well If I had to go all day with just a bone I would think I was fasting but then I like my grub
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >