Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2016, 11:01 AM

Anti-Bullying Week

Having just caught a mother talking on This Morning about her son who committed suicide at 17 years after suffering years of bullying, it made me wonder whether bullying in schools (and elsewhere) is worse nowadays - maybe due to social networking etc?

http://www.itv.com/thismorning/hot-t...n-to-his-death

I suffered only mildly from bullying in primary school and it didn't last longer than it took for my dad to shake his fist at the ringleader on our school run one morning. I know I was fortunate.

I wasn't a victim of bullying in secondary school, and actually didn't even witness very much of it. The school I went to was very hard on bullies though and certain teachers scared the living daylights out of all of us which maybe helped!

My stepson (who is now nearly 14 years) was fine in primary school but has already had to move secondary schools once because of bullying. Unfortunately he still seems to be having problems with certain children in the school he is now in and we have spoken to the school twice regarding this, and things appear to have calmed. I do worry for my more sensitive 8 year old son, who is set to attend the first secondary school where my stepson had so many problems. It seems bullying is rife in many secondary schools
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

14-11-2016, 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
and it didn't last longer than it took for my dad to shake his fist at the ringleader on our school run one morning. I know I was fortunate.
Trouble is that now your Dad would be arrested for 'threatening behavior' or some other equally PC mantra and of course the 'personal injury' lawyers would be crawling out of the woodwork claiming your Dad had frightened the kid and he was now traumatised for life

The parents would be awarded compensation (Which you & I would pay for through increased insurance premiums) and so it goes. This is 2016 not 1916 and a pretty horrible place it is.

Far better if parents were allowed to tell kids exactly what is right and wrong but they (Modern day parents) are so brainwashed by all the 'talking heads' on TV with all their 'ologist' ending job descriptions it is a nightmare.

Yes, you are right the so called 'social media' is responsible for a lot of the downgrade in behaviour, not that the muppet Zuckerberg could give a dam, he is too busy raking in money and telling people he has a mission to link everyone in the world together

ETA:-
Got the year wrong Have edited it now Thanks both for ignoring it I'm calling it a 'typo' - you may just say it's my age
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2016, 12:29 PM
You are probably completely right Losos
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2016, 03:20 PM
I was very badly bullied at boarding school between the ages of 11 and 16, and when I left I vowed I would never ever let myself be bullied again ... and although many people have tried, they have not succeeded! I learned very quickly from my early experience that the only way to deal with bullies is to give them a ruddy great smack right in the kisser ... wham, bam, take 'em suddenly before they have time to react and they will leave you alone and pick on someone else. Had I socked those bitchy girls right from the start, I would never have had to suffer what I did. I was pretty religious at that age and thought it better to turn the other cheek! Rubbish!! The bible also says an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.

Nowadays of course if someone tries to pick on me at work I do not smack them in the kisser, although I would love to, but deal with it through more civilised and acceptable means! The message gets across very quickly that you will not tolerate being gossiped about behind your back and your every move reported to your line manager and they soon learn to leave you alone.
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2016, 06:18 PM
I do think bullying is worse for kids now with social media as you can't ever really get away with it. Once upon a time, if you moved to a school the other side of the city, you could leave your past behind...now with FB, myspace etc it isn't that easy. I was briefly bullied at secondary school...i despise bullying and the thing with me was it was my "friends" who did it...suddenly and out of the blue. When my cousin begun having problems and the school repeatedly denied an issue and even blamed it on her.....i stepped in. The 2girls bullying her were both 11 and I was 15, I offered to fight them both at the same time...funnily enough they weren't so keen, I was called in to the office and was told that if I laid a finger on them i would be chucked out of school.....heaven to me!!! He then said what would my parents say?? I cracked a massive smile, laughed and asked if he wanted the honest answer...he said he did so I told him....i would get a massive pat on the back, a huge well done and dad would hire me a tutor lol...i will never forget the look on his face as long as I live!! He didn't believe me so I told him to call my mum whilst I was stood there...he did, told her what I had done and my mum said she was proud of me for offering to fight them both first before just laying them out lol...i don't think that was what he expected. My dads brother did his nut, said I would have made things worse for my cousin, my aunty called me back to thank me and oddly enough nobody ever messed with her again, when people realise you are a bit nuts and aren't too fussed about exclusion and neither are your parents they tend not to want to risk it lol