Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2005, 06:57 PM

Wafcol Food and skin allergies

Hi All. Just an interesting quote from my vet yesterday when I visited with Cassie for her annual m.o.t. I told him I had put Georgie back on Wafcol Salmon and Potato food (which he had previously instructed me to use) as he suffers very badly with wet ecezma. Anyway, he was very pleased I had done this and said "it's the salmon in it, there is a drug in salmon which is very good for their skin and of course the essential oils". Just thought I'd pass this on, as some of you may have dogs with itchy or problem skin and you may find this interesting if you're thinking about changing to a different food. He is South African, and an excellent vet, so he should know what he's talking about.
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2005, 07:19 PM
i had diesel on royal canin hypoallergenic and she reacted really badly to it i contacted wafcol and explained my 2 dogs problems,they said the one food will do 2 dogs but beings as my pup is now settled on his food i will leave him be,i have just bought the wafcol today and so far so goodmy vet is south african too,he is absolutely fab as well
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2005, 07:29 PM
Well there you go then griff! When you said your vet was South African I had to quickly look at your "location" in case we had the same one!

Oh dear, I hope Bellaluna doesn't see what you've put about the Royal Canin hypoallergenic coz her vet has just put her dog on it due to a runny tum. My other dog who had(maybe still has) EPI is on the Royal Canin Sensitivity Control which is excellent for stomach probs. but you can only get it through your vet and it is very, very expensive £67 for 15kgs.

Btw, did you go for the Salmon and Potato one as that's the one my vet is on about being the best for skin probs? They are very helpful too aren't they, when you e-mail them with problems, as I found this out too with them.
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2005, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54
Well there you go then griff! When you said your vet was South African I had to quickly look at your "location" in case we had the same one!

Oh dear, I hope Bellaluna doesn't see what you've put about the Royal Canin hypoallergenic coz her vet has just put her dog on it due to a runny tum. My other dog who had(maybe still has) EPI is on the Royal Canin Sensitivity Control which is excellent for stomach probs. but you can only get it through your vet and it is very, very expensive £67 for 15kgs.

Btw, did you go for the Salmon and Potato one as that's the one my vet is on about being the best for skin probs? They are very helpful too aren't they, when you e-mail them with problems, as I found this out too with them.
I saw

Well Luna's problem is mainly the tummy, she isnt itching or anything.. So I hope things are gonna work for us.

I hope your dogs will do great on Wafcol Yet another brand not available in Denmark
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2005, 08:27 PM
yep,got the salmon and potato my 2 get smelly bums and diahorrea(sp)if they have anything they shouldn't :smt078 :smt078 :smt078 one dog is bad on pork,cows milk,wheat,soybean,corn(maize) and oats,the other is lamb,turkey,beef and white fish this proves a real headache but as i say the pup has a food to suit him and hopefully the wafcol will suit diesel this is my last option dried food wise for diesel,i had her on a home diet for 4 years before i got the pup but they are like kids,both want biscuits shame for bellaluna not being able to get it in denmark
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2005, 10:42 AM
After saying all this I have now been up all night with Cassie, diarrhea like water and vomiting! Been to the vets and he said there is something going round and he has been inundated with it over the week-end. The ironic thing is, took her there on Saturday for her annual health check fit as a fiddle, and have come home with this now! She has finally stopped vomiting and straining (and no blood this time thank God) and is sleeping in her bed which I'm hoping will do her some good as she's been padding around like a loonatic this morning and all night, in and out, in and out, I'm knackered too!

Same with this one of mine griff, can't give her anything but a special vet. food otherwise she is ill, but she hasn't had anything other than her food that's why I'm so worried. My other one who has the skin problem is on the Wafcol Salmon and touch wood he seems fine, but if it is something going round,then of course I expect he will be next!

Think I should have had kids!
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2005, 12:11 PM
Awww Helen

I'm so sorry to hear Cassie's being sick

Poor girl

Hope she'll get better really fast...
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2005, 03:04 PM
Thanks Jeanette, I get so very worried about her when she gets anything like this as her intestines just can't take it after her poison episode 5yrs. ago and I am so very worried I will lose her. I wouldn't be so concerned if she was a "normal" dog with a normal digestive tract but there you go, nothing will change me!

Hope Luna is still doing ok on her Hypoallergenic food too and it sorts all her problems out. I really do know how you worry with it all. Take care.
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2005, 03:07 PM
Awww Helen

I hope she pulls through... I saw in the other post, that's she's eaten and is keeping it down WTG Cassie

Luna is (knock on wood) doing great. Her tummy is better than it has been in many months

Hugs J
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2005, 09:31 AM
ooohhh i just saw this,how is cassie now?diesel has had to come off the wafcol,she reacted sooo badly to just a few biscuits never mind though,she does fine on a home diet and as long as the pup is on a dog food and gaining weight i'm happy i really hope cassie is soon a 100%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >