Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2007, 03:59 PM

Are Roses Poisonous To Dogs?

Loki keeps stealing rose buds from my potted bush and eating them. I can't find anything about roses and toxicity on the Internet.

Luckily I don't use insecticide but sprayed them with soapy water. Didn't put him off though.
maebme
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2007, 04:02 PM
Don't know about dogs - but we can certainly eat roses!
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2007, 04:03 PM
I'm pretty sure they are not. The only thing you have to watch is getting jabbed by one as you can get blood poisoning that way. I have heard of people who have had to get their arms amputated after a spot of gardening and one poor woman actually died. Sorry to be so cheery
lisa0307
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-06-2007, 05:34 PM
My friends dog does this and also eats the flowers off of her Passion flower and has a daily munch of her Campanula...flowers and leaves...oh and he's partial to next doors dead Camellia flowers....he's not shown any signs of illness she does try to stop him eating the plants but it's difficult
leospride
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-06-2007, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Loki keeps stealing rose buds from my potted bush and eating them. I can't find anything about roses and toxicity on the Internet.

Luckily I don't use insecticide but sprayed them with soapy water. Didn't put him off though.
Molly used to be a s** for eating the mini rose bud leaves. After a week of intermittant sickness the vet retrieved a small (tiny) thorny leaf stem that had attached itself inside her whether this was what was making her sick or not, that bush got put behind the border fencing.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2007, 08:08 PM
Oh! Thanks for this - I had no idea about the blood poisoning aspect (tetanus???) and if I'd thought Loki would eat the things I wouldn't have put them where he could get them.

Think I'd better move them in case he gets jabbed.

Thanks!