Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2004, 08:23 PM

Clock change.

Is this worth a discussion?

It's one of my big hobby-horses. I think I'd prefer that we left the clocks as they are, although it is dark in the mornings now etc etc.

There is only a finite amount of daylight anyway - changing the clocks doesn't make more, just shifts when we have it.

What really annoys me is the way it's not spread evenly either side of the shortest day. Clocks change on Saturday = 8 weeks to shortest day. Change back end of March = 13 weeks from shortest day. Why? We want the spring evenings to be light. It's good for tourism, gardening, the soul, etc. The light/dark balance is fine now - do it the same the other side of new year - change back mid February.

Or am I ranting?....yes Hil - you're ranting, go back to your box.....

Anybody got any strong views?

PS - doesn't it ****you off going round the house doing the time on umpteen bits of electronic eqpt?
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-10-2004, 08:25 PM
if the clocks stay as they are we wont have daylight til about 10am
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2004, 08:27 PM
That'll do me. I can lie in then

I hate having to change all the clocks cos you can guarantee that i will forget to change one of them
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2004, 08:28 PM
...but it'll be a bit lighter in the evenings. What do you need daylight for in the mornings?

Afternoon/early evening daylight (esp at weekends) gives more sport/recreational time. Early morning daylight is just that. Good for milkmen & posties.
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2004, 08:28 PM
...but it'll be a bit lighter in the evenings. What do you need daylight for in the mornings?

Afternoon/early evening daylight (esp at weekends) gives more sport/recreational time. Early morning daylight is just that. Good for milkmen & posties.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-10-2004, 08:29 PM
I prefer it being light for the kids going to school in the morning.

What happened the last time they tried to keep the clocks the same?
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

25-10-2004, 09:50 PM
lol, instead of changing the clocks we could just change the times? School starts an hour later etc?

Dont worry DM one day all electronics gadgets will auto-clock them selves
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2004, 10:41 PM
god no i couldnt cope with changing times of school! i have enough trouble when they go up a level in dancing or swimming and i have to remembber new times. i am with you hilary i would prefer it lighter after school for dog walking lol
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-10-2004, 11:36 PM
Keep it as it is, that's wot I say! The current suggestion seems to be that a decision as far as Scotland is concerned should be left to the Scottish Executive (now there's a laugh). Imagine having to change your watch every time you cross the Border, if England changes things? And if you live in Scotland and you do have one of those self-setting clocks - it will be picking up the time signal from Rugby, and therefore an hour out for half the year. Scottish video recorders and Freeview boxes will be an hour out, too, because they take their time from the (usually English) TV stations.

Up here, on the roof of the world, changing the hours will make no useful difference, as we have VERY short winter days anyway. In summer, we have nearly 22 hours direct daylight as it is (and no complete dark).

NOT ALL PROGRESS IS GOOD PROGRESS!

Snorri
Stephanie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2004, 10:23 AM
is it this weekend the clocks go back ??
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >