register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: What group/groups have you been bitten by?
Gundog 7 12.73%
Working 7 12.73%
Pastoral 10 18.18%
Terrier 20 36.36%
Hound 3 5.45%
Toy 10 18.18%
Utility 3 5.45%
Other (non recognised breed/crosses/mixes etc) 4 7.27%
Never been bitten! 15 27.27%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2007, 08:55 AM

Dog Bites

In view of the talk about PB's and their disposition I thought it would be interesting to have a poll to see what, in the experience of the people on here, is the group of dogs most likely to bite.
The poll is multi choice as I'm sure some of us have been bitten by more than one dog due to our jobs.
You don't have to specify the breed if you don't want to.
Becky
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2007, 08:59 AM
As a Dog Groomer I've had to deal with some pretty stroppy dogs but the number one biter in my experience is the Westie! However, I would like to point out that I only started getting bitten regularly when I took over from someone else's grooming job so I do wonder how they were treated as when I ran my own business I only ever got bitten by an American Cocker and a Mini Schnauzer.
Becky
Niknak
Dogsey Senior
Male 

09-03-2007, 09:00 AM
My worst time was when I was bitten by a jack russell as a child - strange because I went on to own two when I became an adult.
Biff
Dogsey Senior
Male 

09-03-2007, 09:09 AM
I've been bitten once by a jack russell that lived at the top of our estate as I was growing up. The owner knew what it was like, but still let it run free around their front yard with no fence. I was chased so may times by it (as a kid), looking back I shouldn't have ran, but knew no better at the time. I hold no grudge against the breed, and as it happens the next dog I have may indeed be a jack russel because I think they're great little lions (or so they think).

The other dog that bit me was our old kerry blue. Not really a bite, just a nip to warn me really. He'd been attacked by a westie and a bulldog while he was out walking, so was a bit sore. I came over trying to maul him, not realising and he had a little snap. I was more sneeped than I was hurt.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2007, 09:12 AM
Whilst this poll is interesting, I think I would also have liked to seen something to reflect the savageness of the bite. I have been bitten a few times by different breeds, but only ever a single bite - never a savage attack and I have never needed any kind of hosipital treatment.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2007, 09:32 AM
This is more to show a predisposition to bite rather than severely attack. I only ever had to go to hospital once for bites and that was when I was separating my own dogs from fighting! The only other deep bite was a GSD.
Becky
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2007, 09:38 AM
I have to say Becky that the poll is interesting but I don't think (no disrespect intended at all here) that it will have very much meaning, as for one thing you would need to know how many of each breed there is i.e what proportion as a percentage each breed represented i.e. if pit bulls only represent 2% of the population and say Labradors 60% (for example) then you would obviously expect to have been biten more frequently by the more common dog, just purely by the number of them about. Also, in such as your experience with grooming, how many dog such as pit bulls have you groomed compared to the small toy breeds? See what I mean it's impossible to get any quantitative data form such. But, it's interesting nevertheless
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2007, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by Meganrose View Post
I have to say Becky that the poll is interesting but I don't think (no disrespect intended at all here) that it will have very much meaning, as for one thing you would need to know how many of each breed there is i.e what proportion as a percentage each breed represented i.e. if pit bulls only represent 2% of the population and say Labradors 60% (for example) then you would obviously expect to have been biten more frequently by the more common dog, just purely by the number of them about. Also, in such as your experience with grooming, how many dog such as pit bulls have you groomed compared to the small toy breeds? See what I mean it's impossible to get any quantitative data form such. But, it's interesting nevertheless
I have to agree with this

Oh, and I have never, ever been bitten
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2007, 09:48 AM
Yes I agree but I'm not the only one voting so we will have people from all aspects of dogdom (I hope) and also just those that have been bitten by dogs in the street, or their neighbours dogs so I think it would cover most eventualities. I'm just really interested in which groups are responsilbe as some groups are deemed to be more 'people' friendly such as the gundogs but I've been bitten by both types of cockers so I'm interested whether there is any foundation to these 'facts'.
The only way to get a true picture would be to have a poll listing every breed. I suppose it could be done group by group?
Becky
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2007, 09:52 AM
Fair enough Becky, I'm not much use to you then as after spending my entire life surrounded my many dogs I can honestly tell you that I have never been biten by any, ev en our rescues
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >