View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
thensonSLC
New Member!
Male 

20-10-2014, 04:14 PM

Advice for feeling guilty about adopting 2nd dog?

We currently have a 3 year old bulldog (Bosco), who is our little monster! We have had him for a couple of years now and he's always been the center of attention, obviously. We decided to adopt another bulldog, who is 9 years old (Reba). They get along just fine, and play very well with each other, but I can tell Bosco seems to be a little jealous of her.

Is it normal to feel guilty for getting the 2nd dog? I feel like he might think we don't love him as much, or that we're trying to replace him.

Any advice on how to overcome this feeling?
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2014, 04:31 PM
I always feel guilty when I get another animal . Its because for a short while the happy home is a bit disrupted by the new arrival . To be honest when things settle down , usually in a couple of weeks , I am always glad I got the new one . If you just let things settle I'm sure you will be the same . Good luck
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-10-2014, 05:32 PM
It's like having more than one child , you have enough love to go around....I am sure Bruno will settle to the new member soon.

Make sure you don't change his routine, carry on as normal, allow the new dog to fit into his/ your routine, and not the other way round.

He'll forgive you I'm sure
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2014, 05:36 PM
Welcome to Dogsey
Imagine its normal to feel that way.Thing to remember is dogs are amazing at picking up on things like that.Might even play on it a bit You are doing a great thing adopting a second dog,they'll both benefit from it,so try and put the guilt feelings out of your mind,or at least save it for alone time Take a bit of time for all involved to get used to the new situation,it'll be brill you'll see Good luck xx
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2014, 05:40 PM
I can't really comment because I have only ever had one dog at a time. However I do know how I have felt getting a dog after losing a previous one but life has to go on.
Be happy and proud that you have given a home to another needy dog.
Things will settle I'm sure.
thensonSLC
New Member!
Male 

20-10-2014, 05:48 PM
Thank you all for your comments.

I think I'm the one with more of this feeling, my partner doesn't as much. I'm more of the worrisome type. lol! We have Bosco well trained and we have our own goofy relationship with him, cuddle with him, etc. and I guess I'm just scared of that changing.

I'll definitely do my best to not let these feelings show around the dogs, and see how it turns out over the next week or two!

Thanks again!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2014, 06:10 PM
Stay in touch and let us know how things go.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2014, 06:11 PM
And when you're all settled in,pics would be great
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-10-2014, 04:16 PM
I remember when Sophie was an "only dog", all but surgically connected to my side. She is still wherever I am and that hasn't changed. Fortunate that Callie bows to her nutty mood changes.

Every dog, cat, child that you add to the household increases the love. And each is an individual. You learn each one's unique personality and celebrate them for it.
I still love Sophie dearly for all her quirks but Callie is the greatest dog I have ever known.

So let's put it this way...if there was a fire who would I rescue?...simply that I would have a dog under each arm with the cats at my heels A good suggestion for you is to walk each dog separately at least once a day. Then they each get quality time. Enjoy!
Wolfwitch
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-10-2014, 06:25 PM
Surely a little bit of guilt is a small price to pay for having done such a wonderful thing: rescuing a dog and giving it a new home.

And of course your no.1 is jealous, but it sounds to me like there is plenty of love to go round and he'll soon realise that
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >