Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2005, 05:40 PM

Dog bites and the law

Okay can anyone clear this up for me whats the "law" regarding dog bites a neighbours dog has bitten the little lad of another neighbour The dog in question is rarely if ever in the front garden normaly, just occasionaly he potters out when his owner is watering the hanging baskets he never strays and is never out off lead, he is about 6 or 7 I think and a X breed with a little spaniel I think in him, well it appears the neighbours lad hung over the mans fence trying to stroke the dog who nipped/bit him hard enough to draw blood and the lad (11) has been taken to hospital.

Is there a "law" regarding dog bites the lads parents have reported the dog.

The lad it seems just appeared and started hanging over the fence while the man who owns the dog was walking back up with his watering can - the incident had happened before the chap could call to the lad or his dog.

He is heartbroken.

Karen
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-08-2005, 05:53 PM
Probably the Dangerous Dogs Act.

http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/informat...gerousdogsact/

Section 3 covers all dogs regardless of breed and is applicable to dogs in a public place. Not too sure if it is applicable to private land.
jake
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2005, 05:54 PM
http://www.naturenet.net/law/dogs.html

This link may be of some use Kazz. What an unfortunate incident for all involved. How badly bitten was the little boy? You need eyes in the back of your head with dogs and children as it takes seconds for something like that to happen. I hope it gets resolved
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2005, 06:05 PM
I have no idea how badly bitten he was/is I was not there but the lads grandad has gone round and told the chap not to worry as they have now discovered the dog was in his own garden and their lad was hanging over the wall.

Which is a solid brick wall the wall is about 3ft high. I do feel for both parties as the chap whose dog it is has just lost his wife to cancer she was 52 their youngest son was killed in a hit and run car accident 4 years ago, he was 18. I think the dog and his grandchildren are the only things that keep him going.
Yet I feel for the family of the yound lad too.

Karen
jacquie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-08-2005, 07:10 PM
This is a hard one but.....the lad was intruding ie hanging over the wall.The dog was protecting his property/owner.
As long as the dog does not have a record of biteing and is not a threat in normal day to day life I think it should be ok. Every dog bite has to be reported though.
Molly2606
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2005, 07:18 PM
Yeh i'll agree it is tough but what you've got to remember is that the little boy should have been taught that all dogs arn't friendly. the dog would of just been protecting his yard. i've made sure my daughter knows not to touch a strange dog that they arn't all like molly.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2005, 09:06 PM
Oh no! I hope both the lad and the dog are okay. Thus has struck a chord with me because although Loki ADORES people, and I mean seriously - he loves people, sometimes things happen .... Next door's Grandson was doing just that a while ago, standing up on the fence and barking at Loki. I called Loki in (which peeved me as he had been happily chomping on a bone, minding his own business) as he started getting excited. I don't believe for one second he would have bitten the lad but I didn't want to take the chance.
jake
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2005, 11:02 PM
I do wish people would educate their children I seem to spend my life telling local children why they shouldn't do this and that with a dog: jake may put up with a child sticking their face in his other dogs may not!!

Kazz that poor owner he sounds like he's really been through the mill latley from what you've told us this incident doesn't sound too serious thank goodness.
geordieboxerlover
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-08-2005, 03:43 AM
well i think it's the kids fault
yrs ago wen my son's were wee my youngest son thort it wud be gud idea to climb back wall while i was at work(his nanna was babysittingi them) and bring his mate with him
up till then my 2 adorable babies(no not the kids ffs me boxers) had only liicked peeps to death
but this time kayleigh attacked son's mate
a was shocked cudnt believe it
went to the lads house but his mother(thankgod)said he shud'nt of been climbing walls where dogs are
kayleigh never bit him but he did have bruising to his belly due to scratches
that was a close call for me even tho it were'nt my dogs fault
you can never be too carefull you just gota try and be in control of every situation
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-08-2005, 07:59 AM
Coincidence or not, but today's Sunday Express reports on a bull mastiff ripping open the jugular vein of a 12 year boy. The boy was in intensive care for 5 days on a life support machine.

The dog was reported to be in the "neighbour's garden" and was destroyed.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >