Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
waggytail
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-08-2011, 03:59 PM

Pre-existing Conditions ?

What does this actually mean?? Is it an on-going medical condition or can it refer to anything that could be even mildly related to a previous illness/injury?

I have always tended to stick to the same company but as prices continue to rise I am often tempted to change for a better deal...If you change insurers they all seem to have this clause "Does not cover pre existing conditions"..

Has anyone ever changed companies? How was this dealt with if your dog had a previous illness (not on-going) for example, my dog had an injury to his leg a year ago but it is fine now.

Advice appreciated..Thanks
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2011, 04:04 PM
I've been changing Parker's (9 and a half) insurance company every year as he has no pre-existing conditions as the only times he's been to the vet were for castration, tummy upset and when he got bitten by another dog ( ).

When we had Cherry and her eye problems I was stuck with the same insurance company as other wise we would have had these excluded and got no more financial help with any associated vet costs and she needed a lot of money spent on her with various eye operations.
waggytail
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-08-2011, 04:07 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
I've been changing Parker's (9 and a half) insurance company every year as he has no pre-existing conditions as the only times he's been to the vet were for castration, tummy upset and when he got bitten by another dog ( ).
Did you have to "Declare" these previous illnesses/injuries? normally they ask you about recent vet visits and any treatment your dog recieved etc?
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2011, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by waggytail View Post
Did you have to "Declare" these previous illnesses/injuries? normally they ask you about recent vet visits and any treatment your dog recieved etc?
No they didn't ask anything about his health at all. The only questions they asked were is he neutered/microchipped or aggressive.

When applying for new pet insurance I have never been asked about my pet's medical history. You are supposed to read their terms and conditions before buying which would explain about not being entitled to claim for any pre-existing conditions.

If your dog needs treatment and you make the claim then they would contact your vet and any other vets you may have had your dog registered at to check on their medical history.
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-08-2011, 04:44 PM
We have to give them a full 12month history when we make a claim. But we will never be swapping now as we've just made a big claim (hopefully they'll pay it!).

A friend is having a debate with her company at the moment as her dog has cut itself again. Same leg but different place and completely unrelated to the previous injury. Shes had to supply a vets letter saying its a seperate thing, not heard if they've accepted that yet though
waggytail
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-08-2011, 09:55 AM
I have only ever used PetPlan or The Kennel club healthcare scheme, as these always "cover for life" and are quite comprehensive. I'm sure both of these have always asked about veterinary history.

These two companies however are very expensive!!! ....Which companies have you used? Do any of them offer "cover for life"? I don't think many do, Claims tend to have a 12 month cap?
waggytail
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-08-2011, 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by wallaroo View Post
we will never be swapping now as we've just made a big claim (hopefully they'll pay it!).
If you have made a claim does this mean you cannot swap then? a claim doesnt automatically mean a "pre existing condition" ?
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-08-2011, 01:02 PM
I have only ever used PetPlan or The Kennel club healthcare scheme, as these always "cover for life" and are quite comprehensive. I'm sure both of these have always asked about veterinary history.

These two companies however are very expensive!!! ....Which companies have you used? Do any of them offer "cover for life"? I don't think many do, Claims tend to have a 12 month cap?
We are with Axa. Cover is £7000 per year which is for all claims (i.e. not per condition). Some of the companies offer 'life cover' so they'll pay out each year but they put a cap on how much they will pay for each condition

If you have made a claim does this mean you cannot swap then? a claim doesnt automatically mean a "pre existing condition" ?
In this case it does as it is an ongoing condition. Even once we get it sorted it could reoccur
LauraJaynee
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-11-2011, 09:34 PM
Yes, its something the dog already suffers from before you take out insurance.