Our sister sites
Our sister sites
nickyv32
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-10-2006, 03:04 PM

Clipping my Yorkie (fear of clippers)

Hi there all,
I am new to this site but I am having a problem with my Yorkie having her face clipped...As soon as you approach with clippers or scissors she throws a complete wobbly...I can manage one cut but she hates the sound of the scissors clicking............Any ideas please
Thanks
Nicky
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-10-2006, 03:33 PM
Hi Nicky welcome to Dogsey...Has someone hurt or scared your little dog, was she given chance to see and get used to the clippers as a puppy? I always start puppies off when very tiny so they get used to trimming tools.

I can only suggest you try desensitising your little dog.
Let her have a good look at the clippers, put them on the floor so she gets used to seeing them around and learns they ain't a threat, give her lots of praise and a special treat (a bit of meat or cheese) when she sniffs them .
If she is not too scared make a noise with the tools but do nothing to her so she learns they will not harm her then more praise/treat . If she is not too scared move on to making a clipping noise near her face but doing nothing again treat/ praise. Next remove one bit of hair treat /praise and progress very slowly from there.

If she is really scared don't force her, go at her pace and backtrack if she is scared at any stage, don't sympathise always use a bright matter- of- fact voice ..
nickyv32
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-10-2006, 03:38 PM
There was a problem when she was small....We had groomers to the house and they were a bit rough when they were puppies...........I would think there may have been a problem because she had a very short section almost bald on her nose..............a tiny cut...........I clipped her coat no problem but as soon as her head is approached she throws a wobbly......I put the clippers on the floor and tried to play a game with her. I suppose it will take time and patience..............She is a sweetie all round really.............
Meg
Supervisor

14-10-2006, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by nickyv32 View Post
There was a problem when she was small....We had groomers to the house and they were a bit rough when they were puppies...........I would think there may have been a problem because she had a very short section almost bald on her nose..............a tiny cut...........I clipped her coat no problem but as soon as her head is approached she throws a wobbly......I put the clippers on the floor and tried to play a game with her. I suppose it will take time and patience..............She is a sweetie all round really.............
..yes the method described above should be done over days if not weeks, very slowly.

How short are you clipping, for very short clipped bits Hauptner Shears are a good alternative to clippers, they make very little noise

you would only need the tiny ones ...2.5

from here.... click
nickyv32
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-10-2006, 03:56 PM
Great thanks for the information........Much appreciated
nickyv32
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-10-2006, 04:17 PM
Well here is Poppy the offender...Hope it arrives safely

nickyv32
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-10-2006, 04:18 PM
Sorry it is rather large .........................
Meg
Supervisor

14-10-2006, 04:34 PM
..very sweet quite an unusual look for a Yorkie but lovely none the less
lisa0307
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-10-2006, 05:41 PM
My friend had the same problems with her male yorkie...she found she managed to clip him when she sat in the bath with him...without the water in it...seems he allows her to clip him when he is in a different environment and the bath is where he feels fine for her to bath him and so he's ok with clipping....I know it sounds funny but it really works.lovely dog, really cute
perrypooh
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-10-2006, 07:08 PM
I always use one hand to hold the combed out hair like hairdressers do then cut it like that all the way round its a good way of making sure you get a perfectly round head like a westie and your fingers would be providing a barrier between her face and the scissors,it would be safer should she suddenly move and she might feel safer as she can't see the scissors in action.I also use thinning scissors on heads,it gives a softer finish and they are blunt ended-handy with a nervous or skittish dog.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >