register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Competitive obedience natural or unatural?
Competitive obedience is natural 5 71.43%
Competitive obedience is unatural 2 28.57%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Doglistener
Dogsey Senior

13-03-2005, 08:56 PM

Competitive Obedience natural or unaturaL

Hi all

Does the forum think that competitive obedience is natural for a dog, to the level seen at say Crufts. And are these robotic seemingly boring routines fun for the dogs?
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2005, 09:02 PM
well those dogs looked like they enjoyed it especially the collies
pete
Almost a Veteran

13-03-2005, 09:07 PM
i dont get what you mean by natural ?

are the routines boring for the dog or do they enjoy it ? without talking to someone who does that sort of obedience at that level i think it would be unfair to comment .
Doglistener
Dogsey Senior

13-03-2005, 09:13 PM
I am basically asking if as a dog owner, you think these excercises and expectations are natural or unatural for a dog,

We are not talking flyball or agility which is clearly fun for the dog but repetetive competitive obedience excercises.

Stan
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2005, 09:20 PM
I think if the dogs really didnt like it then it would show
pete
Almost a Veteran

13-03-2005, 09:22 PM
i think some sort of obedience is good for all dogs ,but im not sure about competitive and repetetive ,maybe the dog doing it might enjoy the fact that its doing something right and getting rewarded for it , and if dogs find something boring will they just get on with the job in hand or will they give up on it?

you have raised a very good point tho.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-03-2005, 10:37 PM
I am not quite sure how to vote as I thnk that competition level heelwork is unnatural, but other exercises that involve running and jumping, or scent discrimination, recall, etc. are utilising a natural behaviour, albeit in an artificial situation. I doubt that heelwork is 'fun' but it is a fairly short routine and the dog does get the pleasure of pleasing the handler. I believe that other exercises are 'fun' for the dog - at least mine give every appearance of enjoying them

Pete, some dogs will indeed 'switch off' when they become bored. Boxers spring to mind so, if my dogs are heeling well I know that they are happy to be doing what is required.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2005, 10:50 PM
HI I wasnt sure how to vote - but we tried some obedience with Bruno earlier this evening - my OH did a rather hilarious impression of Mary Rae with our 4yrd ol staffie and a biscuit - it actually resulted in OH walking up the room and turning ( followed by Bruno the staffie) - on the way back down Bruno decided this was quite boring, unlikely to get the biscuit doing it this way so blocked OH path , sat down gave a paw - got the biscuit cos of his gorgeous face, went over to the sofa jumped up and went to sleep !!

So yeh if the dog didnt want to do it - guess he wouldnt !!!LOL

Dani
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2005, 10:53 PM
Dani
your posts about Bruno do make me laugh
and the pics of him with his goggles on They are just classic
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2005, 10:58 PM
thankyou !!
you will probably be getting the impression now that he is a very disobedient, cheeky dog and that I am a hopeless sucker

You would be right on both of those assumptions - one look out of those big chocolate eyes of his and I cant tell him off - he literally walks all over me - but hes my baby - as I am sure your is too !!!

we were watching Crufts tonight and I was watching all the finalists daintily running round the ring - and I turned to OH - Can you imagine me and Bruno going round there and he burst out laughing and said yeh it would be like letting the greyhound out of the trap - pulling a kite behind it !!!! Image there ???

Do love my staffs though - best dog in the world for just being a dog !!!
dani
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >