Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2012, 07:43 PM

I have never been so scared

I am a little claustrophobic, but slowly at work I have been plucking up the courage to use the lift when I have heavy items to lug up a few flights of stairs.
Tonight though the lift jammed with me and the other cleaner in it, between floor 3 and four. There was nobody else in that part of the building and the alarm didn't work.
It was so hot in there after 10 mins the mirror behind us was all steamed up.
The other cleaner had their mobile phone but in the lift couldn't get a signall.
Everytime we pushed the floor button it just jumped and jolted and made a banging noise but wouldn't move.
We thought that was our lot and then all of a sudden after 15 mins it started to go down. We managed to stop it at the next floor and got out, both terrified and shaking.
Surely thats health and safety not having a working alarm in the lift? All I do know is I have never been so scared, not even when that idiot had glass held to my throat in the armed robbery threatening to kill me.
One thing I do know is i will never ever get in any lift anywhere ever again.
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-03-2012, 07:50 PM
I'm so sorry to read this. It must have been terrifying for you. That is so wrong that the alarm wasn't working and you were unable to get a signal for the mobile phone. All I can say is I am so glad the cleaner was in there with you as it might have been even worse for you if you had been alone.

I hope you get over this fright soon and I don't blame you for deciding never to get in a lift again.
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-03-2012, 08:30 PM
Aww Bev, you must have been absolutely terrified!! I know I would have been.

It's disgraceful that the lift alarm wasn't working. Surely, that should be a daily morning check?

I hope that you soon get over your scare, but if I was you, I would be having a word with the Managers in question.

I would be pouring myself a stiff drink !!
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2012, 08:37 PM
Oh no that is scary!

My elderly Mum got stuck in a lift in the war (2nd World War!) and she still is very nervous about them bless her.

I am surprised there was no telephone in there in case of emergency. There is in our work lift.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2012, 09:54 PM
They took the telephone out and put in this alarm button to press that connects to the lift emergency service wherever that is based. Only that doesn't work and in my mind I keep remembering someone saying something about they never ever connected that up. But I might be worng on that. Whatever though, it doesn't work anyway, so if that lift in the end hadn't started up of its own accord we would still be there now.
The scariest bit was how hot it got in there so quickly and the lack of air.
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2012, 10:02 PM
Oh no that sounds awful. In April my work are moving me to a different office and I will be on the 18th floor, I am so so so so dreading it
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2012, 10:32 PM
How awful for you I don't blame you not going in a lift again!!
A friend of mine was in labour at home and had complications nd had to go to hospital. The baby's head was showing and still she wouldn't go in the lift!! She walked up with gas and air!! xx
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2012, 10:48 PM
Originally Posted by zoe1969 View Post
How awful for you I don't blame you not going in a lift again!!
A friend of mine was in labour at home and had complications nd had to go to hospital. The baby's head was showing and still she wouldn't go in the lift!! She walked up with gas and air!! xx

she sounds like my next door tenant. Poor woman - when they came to see the apartment she took the stairs (8 flights and she suffers with heart problems) saying she was afraid of lifts.

I really went overboard to convince her that the lift was safe, I'd lived here for years, never been a problem with it and it was serviced monthly.

On the day they moved in she agreed to take the lift because she was carrying so much stuff.

I got a call on my mobile from her - she was stuck in the lift! Oh good lord! I called the Fire Brigade because I knew they would be quicker than the lift maintenance people. They were here within minutes dismantling the frame and taking the door off and helping her out.

I don't think anything I could say now would convince her to get back in it. I just hope she doesn't have a funny turn on the staircases!
Mazza
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-03-2012, 10:52 PM
Aw bless you, that was so scarey for you and if that had happened to me I wouldn't ever get in a lift again either.
Shocking though that no alarm or telephone available for such an emergency,that must break safety rules.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2012, 05:18 AM
I never get in a lift unless i have no other choice. You need to find out who is in charge of H&S & bring it to their attention asap.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >