View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-11-2010, 05:51 PM
I have a friend who used the Suprelorin implant on her boy, and it completely changed his personality. He went from happy go lucky to exhibiting fear aggression with strange people and dogs, and the worst thing is, that a couple of weeks after it's been implanted, it dissolves into a sort of jelly type tissue, can't remember the exact terms used, but basically, it's irreversible, you can't take it out again. So unfortunately my poor friend just has to wait until the effects eventually wear off.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2010, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by Tarimoor View Post
I have a friend who used the Suprelorin implant on her boy, and it completely changed his personality. He went from happy go lucky to exhibiting fear aggression with strange people and dogs, and the worst thing is, that a couple of weeks after it's been implanted, it dissolves into a sort of jelly type tissue, can't remember the exact terms used, but basically, it's irreversible, you can't take it out again. So unfortunately my poor friend just has to wait until the effects eventually wear off.

That's very unusual my Rjj was quite an apprehensive dog prior to having an implant for 2 1/2 years & he is now much calmer & no longer apprehensive at all. My Roodee also has the implant & he's a very outgoing dog & that hasn't changed at all.

One thing your friend has learnt is that she shouldn't castrate her dog as that"cure/contraceptive"measure is totally irreversible. I presume she has contacted Virbeck about this "reaction" ?
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2010, 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by Kicks View Post
We paid £88.50 for the Supreloren just to give you an idea of costings if you decide to look at that option, and it takes six weeks to take full affect.

H x
Gosh your vet is adding a lot to the cost my vet charges £40 & they ain't a cheap surgery either ! It actually takes around 14 to 21 days to take full effect it was 16 days for Rjj(don't ask how I know lol too much detail)
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2010, 07:02 PM
Might be difficult to find a kennel that will take an in season bitch, perhaps a good friend you trust with an all bitch household?

I personally wouldn't use any of the contraceptive type injections of implants, after a few friends have had problems either directly from the contraceptive, or after effects, altering seasons etc.
It shouldnt be any problem for a kennels to board a bitch in season. Its something we do regularly without issue. The bitch will then be safe too.
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2010, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Gosh your vet is adding a lot to the cost my vet charges £40 & they ain't a cheap surgery either ! It actually takes around 14 to 21 days to take full effect it was 16 days for Rjj(don't ask how I know lol too much detail)
That was the cheapest quote from about seven different vets round here!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2010, 07:30 PM
Thats the first time Ive heard anything like that. I have 2 males implanted and they remain exactly the same in coat and personality, my boss has her Dobe done, and the same there.

But, you have in fact demonstrated exactly why THAT dog should not be neutered, and of course those symptoms will wear off, imagine if he had been castrated! No reverse there, thats the beauty of it.

My bitch was in season and I had not one bit of bother at all.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2010, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Thats the first time Ive heard anything like that. I have 2 males implanted and they remain exactly the same in coat and personality, my boss has her Dobe done, and the same there.

But, you have in fact demonstrated exactly why THAT dog should not be neutered, and of course those symptoms will wear off, imagine if he had been castrated! No reverse there, thats the beauty of it.

My bitch was in season and I had not one bit of bother at all.
Have you had any experience of injecting a young bitch Dawn, Ross is booked in at stud so darent risk it.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2010, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
Have you had any experience of injecting a young bitch Dawn, Ross is booked in at stud so darent risk it.
No I havent, I think in your case, perhaps kennels is the safest option. There are plenty that do it though, I know that many show bitches doing REALLY well have had their seasons halted while they show them and have gone on to breed with no problems.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2010, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
No I havent, I think in your case, perhaps kennels is the safest option. There are plenty that do it though, I know that many show bitches doing REALLY well have had their seasons halted while they show them and have gone on to breed with no problems.
Cheers Dawn,
She's not vaccinated but shouldnt be a problem have a couple of friends with kennels who i'm sure will help out.
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2010, 08:49 PM
We had our GSD injected a couple times as we were due to go away and my sister was looking after her. There were no problems and no changes to her seasons. I am sorry but I cant remember the name of it, but your vet will be able to help you with it.
I think it is like most drugs, a very small minority will have a problem but on the whole most wont.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3