Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2010, 08:53 PM

Rat Catching

So, my Boxers have just caught their first rat. Completely unintentionally, but I'm very happy

I'm rather pleased, as I've noticed rat droppings near my poultry feed bin. The dogs were actually doing their fox-protection bit (wee-ing round the bird runs), rather than on any sort of hunt. Generally, I'd discourage them from killing stuff, but since I don't want rats around, especially since I've got young chicks, I don't mind them catching them.

However, I'm not sure if one of them hasn't been bitten by it?

Murphy found it, yelped, tossed it in the air and Max caught it and ran off. Max has blood in his mouth/round his jowls. The rat is completely dead (and intact!)

I've clened Max's face off - looks much worse cos of the slobber - and can't see anything actively bleeding; and he's not sore, wincing or pulling away.

Are there any precautions I should take for them - specific jabs etc?
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-07-2010, 09:00 PM
I think rats are prone to passing around Wiels disease which is transmissble to dogs and humans don't know a lot about it other than I'd just make sure all their Leptospirosis jabs are up to date.

Maybe someone else can offer more info as I have two here that kill mice
Tina H
New Member!
Female 

03-10-2010, 01:47 PM
Hi

I used to take my ferrets ratting. Afterwards they would all be bathed and any with bites would be put on a course of antibotics, just for safety.

Weil's Disease in Dogs

Commonly known as Weil's Disease or Fort Bragg Fever (Leptospirosis), it is an infectious disease that affects dogs, cats, humans and other animals.

It damages the liver and kidneys of its victims. Some strains of the disease are increasing. These particular strains are being seen more by vets, while those most commonly vaccinated against seem to be decreasing.

Bacteria infects the dogs. Some bacteria cause renal disease in dogs, while others, depending upon their type, cause liver disease.

The dog gets the bacteria from coming in contact with urine or other bodily fluids of an infected i.e. rats or by coming in contact with contaminated water, food or bedding. Infections are more common in summer and fall because freezing temperatures generally destroy the bacteria.

The symptoms of leptospirosis in dogs can vary. For most owners, the first noticeable symptoms are anorexia, vomiting, lethargy, depression, muscle pain, diarrhoea and bloody urine. Puppies and large outdoors dogs are more likely to get it.

In certain cases, leptospirosis can cause an infection that leads to death quickly. High fevers, shivering, painful muscles, vomiting, dehydration and shock are often seen in these instances. In less severe cases, symptoms may include cough, tonsillitis, conjunctivitis and rhinitis. Chronic renal failure and jaundice from liver damage may also occur.

Leptospirosis can be transmitted from your dog to YOU, meaning it is a Zoonotic disease.

If your dog has leptospirosis, you should wear protective gloves when treating it. I suggest you wear protective gloves when cleaning your dog if it has been in contact with anything that could carry leptospirosis. Your house should also be disinfected following a diagnosis. The transmission to humans usually occurs when the bacteria is inhaled, ingested or comes in contact with the skin.

A diagnosis is made through blood tests. Antibiotics, generally penicillin followed by tetracycline, are prescribed to rid the bacteria. Prognosis for a pet diagnosed with leptospirosis is generally guarded.

Routine annual vaccinations protect dogs from the most common strains of Leptospirosis. However, vaccines do not protect against all strains.
Tina H
New Member!
Female 

03-10-2010, 01:54 PM
Oops! I just realised when the orginal post was put on (I'm a bit late).

I hope it helps someone else though.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2010, 01:59 PM
You're going to find it far more effective to keep the poultry food bins secured, make sure the rats can't get to the chicken's enclosure to steal food, and clean up any spillages - rats breed so quickly that they'll be 'replaced' just as quickly (if not more so) than they're killed, so you're better to eliminate any resources (food, water, shelter) and they'll move on to an easier life in the neighbour's garden/elsewhere.