View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2004, 05:11 PM
Thing is, I use AOL. It's better now than it used to be but I still have headaches with e-mails.
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

03-08-2004, 05:44 PM
Originally Posted by Snorri the Priest
I can manage 44 kps on a 56k modem; my mate on supanet gets about 19.5, one on Wannadoo gets about 21. Another mate on AOL hits 48kps on a regular basis.
Snorri, thats more likely down to the fact that you have a batter line than your friends... test it... sign up a 'free dial up' account where u only pay the local rate to call it and see if you get the same rates???
Barbara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2004, 05:39 AM
I have internet service through my cable television company, and also my phone service. It costs $50 per month for the internet, $35 for the phone and I can call anywhere anytime as long as I want and it doesn't get higher.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-08-2004, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by Azz
Snorri, thats more likely down to the fact that you have a batter line than your friends... test it... sign up a 'free dial up' account where u only pay the local rate to call it and see if you get the same rates???
I have no doubt that there's a great deal of truth in what you've said - I have badgered BT quite a bit about the phone lines here, in general (and now they hate me! ), but I flirted with Freeserve (now Wannado) on a "pay as you go" basis for a while before turning to AOL. The best I got there was 38 kps - plus a hell of a charge for the helpline (especially for Mac help) which I didn't find particularly helpful!

I suspect that the quality/price of the helpline could be a factor in selecting an ISP for some people, and at least AOL's is free (it ought to be, you wait long enough!).

A site like this one might be of assistance?????

Snorri
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-08-2004, 03:19 PM
Guess what NTL phoned today to tell me that I can have broadband and pay as I do now.

It is a 300k service at £17.99 and free for the first 9 weeks.

Now, I need to find a way to connect the home PC to the laptop. I have dial up on both at the moment. I was looking at wireless networking.

Has anyone got any advice about home networking, wireless or with cables.
Barbara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2004, 03:56 AM
I have cable, and it beats dial up. In the US the wireless is extremely expensive, over $100 per month I've heard.
Carole
Supervisor

06-08-2004, 03:09 PM
Hi Barbara, that is expensive.

I have been quoted £85 for a networking pack with all I need for broadband on 2 pcs. After the payment it is mine and I dont pay rental on it.
Meg
Supervisor

06-08-2004, 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by Barbara
I have cable, and it beats dial up. In the US the wireless is extremely expensive, over $100 per month I've heard.
Gosh Barbara, I thought cable and net access cost next to nothing in the US?? That is a surprise
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2