View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
manypaws
New Member!
Female 

03-11-2011, 07:59 AM

My four year old dog has lost the use and feeling in her hind legs...

My sweet four year old Chihuahua has lost the use and feeling in her hind legs all in one day. She also has a lot of blood in her urine. We took her to the vet today and he did x-rays, blood work, cortisone, antibiotics and acupuncture. We get results tomorrow. There is a possibility of him sending us to a neurologist for surgery on her spine. My question is what experiences have any of you had anything similar to this. Also if we have to do surgery we were told besides having to travel to another county to have it done that it will cost us anywhere from $3000 to $6000 to do so. We are both on temporary disability right now from injuries we received and would have to sell one of our cars to help pay for the surgery but it would not cover it all plus when we return to work (soon we're told) we would be short transportation for one of us. Is there organizations that help with the cost for surgeries for your pets? I had two jobs one being a Realtor but with the economy that income has been reduced to almost nothing so I have become inactive at this time because the cost was becoming more than the income from it at this time. If we have to have the surgery for our baby we WILL. But figuring out how to pay for it is going to be hard and time is an important issue for her if the other treatments don't work. Hopefully they will but I want to be prepared in case. Thank you for your feedback in advance. Hugs to all of you fellow animal lovers.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

03-11-2011, 08:12 AM
Not sure what finanacial help you would get in America. We are in the UK. We do have other American members who would know and also maybe some UK members who would also know the answer to your question.

My Bernese had similar last year he didn't lose the use of his legs entirely and when he did it was ony for a couple of days while in the vet hospital. We unfortunatley had to have him put to sleep this year February but he did have a few rare diseases which had been dormant since he was very young he was also 4. His deseases were incurable. Hopefully with what your vet says it sounds like the problem may be able to be sorted for you and your little one.

Fingers crossed they can help.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2011, 08:20 AM
Did you not take out insurance for your dog?
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2011, 01:45 PM
I have no experience of this but wanted to say how very sorry I am to read what has happened.

In England we have a charity called the People's Dispensary For Sick Animals, who help out people's pets who need veterinary treatment whose owners are on benefits. I don't know if there is something similar in America?

It must be a great worry for you, I do hope your little dog gets the help she needs xx
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2011, 03:38 PM
I used to live in the US but didn't have any animals at the time so I'm not aware of any charities or organisations that might be able to help.

One of my clients has a 12 yr old daschund who had this happen just over a week ago and has had her back operated on and from I last heard is doing well, but it very expensive, so luckily she has insurance.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2011, 05:04 PM
I hope everything works out for your poor girl.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2011, 07:11 PM
I am so sorry to read this, and although I have no help to offer I just want to send my very best wishes for a good outcome.
manypaws
New Member!
Female 

07-11-2011, 06:05 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Did you not take out insurance for your dog?
We have 8 rescued pets. Insurance would be way too expensive.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2011, 06:35 AM
Is there any news on your girl?