Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2007, 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by AnneUK View Post
And do you honestly think they will take back any one of their dogs at any point in his/her life regardless of illness or behaviour problems. In my experience sadly they don't.
To be honest those that are recommended through breed clubs then yes i do,
I understand that working in rescue is difficult,and at times impossible but you can't tar all breeders with the same brush.
We had a two and half dog aggressive Stafford returned to us,as his Breeder we were responsible for him,we rehomed him,when the time was right to a close family friend.

Breeders do there own checks,interviews,questionaire's,place endorsements,sell with contracts stating that if at anytime the puppy can no longer be kept it must be returned to the Breeder.
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-06-2007, 06:06 PM
And do you honestly think they will take back any one of their dogs at any point in his/her life regardless of illness or behaviour problems. In my experience sadly they don't.
If they wanted to do everything in their power, surely they would want to do follow up checks to see their dogs in their new homes?
I strongly object to you assuming that I, as a respondible breeder, would not take a dog back! Of COURSE I would! However, my criteria and homechecking are very stringent and, in 24 years of being in my breed I have never had to rehome a dog I bred I am STILL in contact with the owners of my last litter (the puppies are 10 years old now!).

I HAVE, however, had to help out rehoming several Pharaohs who were taken in by the Blue Cross - one of which was rehomed three times before they contacted the breed Club and three were rehomed twice. Breeders know their breed and know who will hopefully be suitable. Rescue centres, no matter HOW reputable, can NEVER know the breed as well as someone who's lived with it and they DO get it wrong!

Debs
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-06-2007, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
We had a two and half dog aggressive Stafford returned to us,as his Breeder we were responsible for him,we rehomed him,when the time was right to a close family friend.
That truly is great to hear. But in my experience (we get a lot of dogs that originally came from so called Good Breeders) they don't want to know, or at least don't want to take the dog back.

Can I ask if you also make sure the pups you sell are neutered or don't go on to add to the unwanted staffy problem?
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-06-2007, 06:13 PM
Originally Posted by surannon View Post
However, my criteria and homechecking are very stringent and, in 24 years of being in my breed I have never had to rehome a dog I bred I am STILL in contact with the owners of my last litter (the puppies are 10 years old now!).
Excellent, Do you not think other breeders should do the same?

Staying in contact with all the puppies you have bred :smt023 that's how it should be
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-06-2007, 06:13 PM
The main discussion area is mainly for members of the public, so mostly that's the opinions you'll get. The private rescue section is for those who run rescues, obviously more factual posts can be found in there :smt001
No, i have been member of DP for about 3 yrs, but *never* a member of the private rescue section. But i have still read or posted on threads discussing the worries over the legal enforcement of contracts AND rescues accepting out of area letters from vets or dog wardens, *instead* of homechecks.

That's not true, if you did your research you'll find a lot of the reputable rescues ask for these additional checks :smt001
I already know i have done my research, but have you?
As well as posting on DP, I have worked in 2 rescues and had working contacts with several, many years before i even posted on dog forums, as it happens.
And as *you* are making the statements, that it is only right and fair that you are the one to back them up with links and evidence.
Can you list which rescues have as pre adoption criteria letters from vets and dog training classes?

Again, by putting the burden back on me, the questioner, you are still dodging the questions asked regarding points you have raised.
[I]So:
1) What if the vet is too busy, unavailable, or disinclined to provide a letter? Or wishes to charge?
If they charge, you say they should change vets - so, how then do they get their letter?
2) What if there is no positive based training class available at all, or for another several months?
3) What if the class is too far away and the applicant cannot get to it?
4) What if the whole adoption process is completed, including homecheck, and the vet or dog training class delays things for another week?
Is it fair to force the dog to spend an extra week to get stressed in kennels, whilst another dog may be PTS because it has lost its rescue place?.
Is it fair on the potential adopter whom has been genuine and committed in all the other pre adoption processes we agree are necessary?

It's not about making things harder! Everyone knows (or should know) that more care needs to be taken with first time owners. It's not about throwing obstacles in peoples way, it's about doing your utmost to ensure the dog is going to a responsible home. This is why rescues carry out these checks and why I think Breeders should do the same.
Maybe you misread my post? I agree with the extra cautions for first time owners (although *some* people whom use the phrase "i have owned dogs all my life" can be arrogant and think they dont need advice or assessment).
However, when i pointed out the first time owners dont have a vet to get a letter from, you said you only apply that rule to previous dog owners.
Thus, *you* will be making it easier for first time owners
Besides, what if the 'previous dog owner' had a dog a long time ago, and the vet records no longer exists, the vet has retired, the vet cannot remember them, the vet lives in another part of they country where the applicants moved from????. So on, so on.

You see, my point remains, when citing good practice for other industries, we should first make sure it is actually wide spread good practice in our own industry, and provide evidence to state this.
For example, the ADCH good practice standards do not mention pre adoption vet or dog trainer letters.
At the moment, on an Irish forum, as a result of the conditions exposed in an English rescue that ships dogs from Ireland, they have started a 'rescue good practices' section.
They are using these same ADCH good practice standards as the ideal.

Also, you need to think thru the practicalities of each suggestion, and note the illogical inconsistencies in some of them (as above).
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2007, 06:20 PM
That truly is great to hear. Can I ask if you also make sure the pups you sell are neutered or don't go on to add to the unwanted staffy problem?
Well we haven't bred a litter for 12 years,so I can assure you we haven't added to the unwanted stafford problem,the majority of these are badly bred,usually without any paperwork.The Stafford is a very popular breed and in my opinion very overbred.

As I stated before I don't believe in forcing the issue of neutering,especially if the owners want to show,if the puppy is going to be a pet only then we recommend spaying bitches to prevent pyometra,and castrating males,but I would never force the issue.

The next litter we breed,will be with the intention of keeping a puppy for ourselves,we will interview,a questionaire will have to be filled out,a contract signed,if they don't want to sign it,they won't have one of our pups,they will all be endorsed,we will meet all the family and talk in depth about the breed,it's history,training,etc...
The only thing we don't do is homecheck.
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

10-06-2007, 06:26 PM
Very well said Krusewalker, it is refreshing to read such an unbiased post.
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-06-2007, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
you are still dodging the questions asked regarding points you have raised.
[I]So:
1) What if the vet is too busy, unavailable, or disinclined to provide a letter? Or wishes to charge?
If they charge, you say they should change vets - so, how then do they get their letter?
2) What if there is no positive based training class available at all, or for another several months?
3) What if the class is too far away and the applicant cannot get to it?
4) What if the whole adoption process is completed, including homecheck, and the vet or dog training class delays things for another week?
Is it fair to force the dog to spend an extra week to get stressed in kennels, whilst another dog may be PTS because it has lost its rescue place?.
Is it fair on the potential adopter whom has been genuine and committed in all the other pre adoption processes we agree are necessary?
Haven't dodged the questions at all I've already answered them...

There isn't a lack of trainers willing to do training in the owners home, phone the APDT and you'll find many that are prepared to do this, yes they'll charge but if you can't find a training class it's worth it where pups are concerned

You could say the same for the delays caused by homechecking. Additional checks like asking for proof of training for some dogs and vets ref letters, which take a lot less time than homevisiting.

people who are asked to get letter of reference from their vets, our adopters have never had a problem obtaining one, nor have they been asked to pay for this. It's not happened yet but if their vet wasn't interested in giving them a letter of reference, I'd wonder why the vet is not happy to give a refernce. If pure lazyness I advise they change their vet pronto

the problem is blanket rules; 'won't home with children under a certain age' 'won't home to people who work fulltime' etc. Rescues if feasible should deal with individuals on a one to one basis. Doing preadoptioin checks is completely different to set in stone policies, these are in place to ensure the individual dog you are rehoming is going to a suitable home.
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-06-2007, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
Well we haven't bred a litter for 12 years,so I can assure you we haven't added to the unwanted stafford problem,the majority of these are badly bred,usually without any paperwork.
I can assure you we have had both pups and adult staffys with very good pedigrees come into rescue
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-06-2007, 06:43 PM
A breeder wouldn't know if they were adding to the unwanted dog problem if they didn't do follow up checks or ask for proof of neutering. How can they be sure that their pups aren't being breed from. Endorsements just prevent the pups from being kc registered
Page 15 of 33 « First < 5 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 25 > Last »