Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sambo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-02-2005, 01:37 PM

CASTRATION

have a friend who owns a 15 month old jack russel

who has been castrated since last march and since december it has been getting quite rampant with teddy bears etc anybody know why this is and how it can be cured as it is getting embarassing when friends visit etc other than this there is no other problems other than him being very vocal lol

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2005, 02:07 PM
Sad to say castration will rarely help with mounting behaviour, particularly the sort that happens during the junior period. As this dog was 'done' before he was mature it is possible that the juvenile behaviours will continue, as he will never now reach full maturity. Think the best way will be training, the owner will have to make sure they make it clear the behaviour is not acceptable.
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2005, 04:57 PM
its a shame so many vets tell us its a good idea to castrate the males. they use 'wont get cancer' and 'will live longer' as excuses. animals are meant to have sexual organs... they arent the cause of cancer...bad diets and over vaccinating ARE. Trainers and dog physcologists are now changing the way we all think about neutering. My little Prinz was done at 8 months, and since then TURNED aggresive towards other males. I have been told this is because other males dont take him as serious as he is 'neutral' without his bits, so he gets frustrated, and has to show them he is still the 'man'. I feel like i was persuaded by my vet, and didnt know any better at the time (now i question everything). But he is getting better with training (i am quite strict with him when he gets grumbly).
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-02-2005, 05:51 PM
Sorry to disagree jess but I don't think its an excuse its fact. How can a bitch say get cancer in her ovaries if there not there?
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2005, 05:57 PM
What you say is true Anne but just how far would you follow that logic, cancer of the stomach and kidneys is far more common so are you going to remove them at the same time. To be honest I don't think tumours in the womb of a bitch is something I have ever heard off Pyometra yes but tumours no.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2005, 06:03 PM
Have just checked the book and ovarian cancers are mention as not common, womb cancers as very rare the most common cancer in the bitches birthing equipment is the vaginal cancer, still there after spaying. The most common site for cancer in the dog seems to be the skin.
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-02-2005, 04:03 PM
Jackie whats your book called?
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2005, 05:06 PM
Think the one I was looking at was Veterinary Notes for Dog Owner Edited by Trevor Turner BVet Med, MRCVS and that particular writing was Dr Larry N Owen MA, DVSc,FRC Path, FRCVS. Sure it is still available the ISNB is 0 09 174374 5
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2005, 09:42 AM
LOL - we can get cancer in the ovaries, testicles too....but we dont remove them as a 'precautionary' measure do we!!!

we have to find out 'why' we get so many cases of cancers nowadays. and of course my answer as i have already stated is the crap we put into our bodies, and that of our dogs. its about as far away from natural as you can get... yet the pet food maufacturers will agrue that its 'balanced' and the domestic dogs have internally changed over thousands of years.

bo***cks!
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

23-02-2005, 10:42 AM
I'm totally confused now about whether you should get your dog castrated or not!

The reason I get all my pets done is so there are no unwanted pups - I got my dogs done when they were 6 months old - and to be honest I've never noticed a difference in them ( my youngest is quite dominant but this didn't change when he got neutered)

Now people tell me that if you get them done especially when they are young they will never mature. Is this true? Are there any studies to show this?

Just really worried now that I have made the wrong descision.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >