Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DDoglover
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-04-2011, 09:13 AM

My Kangal/Husky mix has raw area on his head

My Husky/Kangal Mix had a small lump come up on his head a few days ago. Yesterday we parted the hair and noticed that it had burst, there was some yellow crusty pus sticking the hair together and underneath looked red and raw and ulcer like.
We have been looking into what this could be, we are thinking either a hotspot or abscess.
We have been using antiseptic on the area to clean the discharge.
He has suffered with previous skin problems before.
It is causing him discomfort, not itching but uncomfortable. He is eating but not finishing all his food like normal.
He wants to be around us more than normal.
He gets a bit upset when we go near it either to look or put the antiseptic on.
Has anyone else experienced this in their dogs? or think they know what it sounds like?
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2011, 09:22 AM
No idea but if its pussy and clearly causing discomfort I'd go straight to a vet.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2011, 09:34 AM
Definately worth a vet trip - the problem with things like abcesses is that a) they can sometimes be a result of something interally that you can't see and b) they can lead to blood poisoning if not cleaned out and treated properly.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-04-2011, 09:36 AM
I think I would be careful with the antiseptic and make sure it is well diluted, particularly if it is TCP or something similar. A trip to the vets would probably be the best thing if it doesn't clear up quickly.
Mazza
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-04-2011, 09:37 AM
Sounds like it could be a sebacious cyst. I have been plagued by them with my dogs. Some have been small so burst and healed on their own..some have grown and had to be surgically removed.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2011, 01:38 PM
No advice other than I would go to the vets and let them have a look. Better to be safe. Hope it is nothing major xxxxxxxxxxx
DDoglover
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-04-2011, 01:53 PM
Thanks for all your replies. Will give it a couple of days to see if it gets any better.
Aerolor - no its not TCP its a low toxic veterinary one.
DDoglover
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-04-2011, 05:47 PM
Since yesterday his appetite has improved and whatever it was seems to be healing up (formed a scab) We have been cleaning it twice a day and he has been having antibiotics.
And it was never itchy but since it has been healing he has tried to scratch it.
So are monitoring it at the moment.
Still unsure of the cause maybe bacteria related?
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 06:27 PM
I am pleased to hear the problem is improving DD. I wanted to mention the TCP antiseptic because years ago a chap I knew had a spaniel with an ear infection and he cleaned the ears out with TCP. It was irritant and made an awful mess, causing the dog great discomfort. He meant for the best, but hadn't realised how strong the product was - he just thought that TCP was a good antiseptic for everything.
Daxi Delight
New Member!
Female 

08-04-2011, 06:42 PM
My Goldie had something like this when he got a grass seed in his eye and it migrated along the tear duct and came out thro' the top of his head! He had a swelling which burst and quite a bit of pus came out together with the remains of the grass seed - it was amazing - if a little weird! Shows how efficient nature is at getting rid of foreigh bodies!

Obviously not sure whether your boy has had the same problem but it does sound similar - hope he continues to mprove.