Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

28-04-2010, 06:43 AM

And yet another person needs educating.

Unfortunately I was still in my dressing gown.

Gorden was in the kitchen and said there are a lot of dogs on the field. 2

One is a young boxer doesn't live near us and the other is Winston an EBT from a few doors down.

This young boxer is re-active to other dogs I don't see him very often but on the odd occasion have come to realize he is uncomfortable around other dogs.

He is on a long line with guess what ? A head collar.

I watched the man walk to him to the other side of the field plenty of distance away from Winston and make him sit which he did very nicely anyway as Winston goes past a long way away I might add, the boxer lunges so he lets him lunge the full length of the line and of course the force sends him spinning halfway round back to where he started now I felt my neck go just watching it so how must that poor dog of felt I can't imagine.

Why will people not use harnesses with a long line ? Which is how they should be used.

There is a young doberman and his owner is doing exactly the same.

Me thinks it is time to be out there and to politely point out the problems it may cause their poor dogs.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2010, 08:26 AM
Ouch! That must have really hurt...and the fact that he is letting him go like that is stupid, if he had control over him he should have kept him under control...poor dog.

I think you need a quiet word Lynn
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2010, 08:53 AM
Please do have a word if you can. This is one of my pet hates too.

We used to have a vet nurse come to the first night of dog training classes (talk night when just the owners come so no dogs). The instructor insists that well-fitted harnesses are used for training purposes, especially when long lines are used. The vet nurse had an anatomical model of a dog & she used this to graphically demonstrate what happens to the dog's neck, spine, etc when it is jerked by a lead, let alone a long line attached to a collar! She also gave some very sad real life case stories of dogs that had been subjected to lead jerks, or were constant pullers, or wore head collars that were used wrongly. The sad tales of injuries, arthritis & pain were enough to make anyone think twice about using anything other than a harness.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

28-04-2010, 09:32 AM
I can assure you that if I am around and I see anyone using a long line with a collar or head collar I will have a word in a nice way of course don't want them to walk away thinking I am just out for an argument that will achieve nothing.

I have too use a long line with Ollie as he can be re-active to some dogs but he always wears a harness with his long line, he is in fact always walked on a harness as he is easier to control as he is a large dog. When on his long line he is put in a sit if I see a dog I know he will react too it is also about training them too remain calm not to give them the length of the line to react anyway.

Positive training and hard work he would be able to sit and wait nicely he would still need his long line granted but at least he would learn there is no fear. This boxer is only young so would learn quickly I am sure. As for the doberman that looks like a recall issue he seems friendly enough with all dogs that approach him.

Maybe the fact I use one too and can tell them this they might be more willing to listen.

I just worry about the damage to their skeletal frame and the years of pain or early pts because of ignorance.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2010, 10:19 AM
Oh poor dog

When I had jake on his long line, he always always was on his harness.