View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2005, 10:06 AM

Does anyone have experience of remote control training collars.

Can anyone tell me if you have any experience of these remote controlled dog training collars that can either give a blast of air or water to interrupt bad behaviour. I watched something on Sky last night about 'worst behaved pets' and this was used on a dog that did exactly what Cassie does, chasing and barking at cars. They are expensive but nothing else we have tried interrupts the behaviour and yes we have tried everything.

Can I have your thoughts please.
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2005, 10:34 AM
isn't that the same as a water gun?

We have used water guns with both pups to stop barking and other norty behaviour...

Now I only have to make a similar sound to the water gun with my mouth and Archie stops whatever he's doing...

Also have you tried desensitizing her to cars really slowly?
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2005, 10:48 AM
It does the same thing Tuti except you can wear the remote around your neck and the air thingy fits on the dogs collar. It works for all sorts of things apparently and yes, we've tried absolutely everything and it will stop the behaviour temporarily but nothing will get her attention when she gets going. She didn't do it as a young pup, it started at about 6 months or so and we've been trying to change the behaviour since. She's now 15months!

Everything from head collars (escaped or could still spin and bark), walking the other way (soon as you set off again, she's off), treats (depends which is more exciting, sometimes works, sometimes doesn't). We really need to distract her more than anything and I think this may just do the trick. We're at our wits end reallly, she just gets so excited it's unbelievable. Even with the harness on she still does it.
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2005, 10:51 AM
hey if it's just air and all it does is startle interrupt the behaviour I might be tempted to try... BUT if you have already been trying to interrupt the behaviour with other stuff it's likely it wouldn't work.

I would persevere with the treats if they work sometimes TBH

BTW with Archie's SA training I find that what slows us down is going too fast for the dog. Take it easy and build up VERY slowly
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2005, 11:00 AM
Well thats the thing, it's completely odourless and harmless and is supported by a vet so may be worth a try. She's better with me than with OH but he does the majority of the walking so need something else to try. We really do work at her training but she's so stubborn! I wouldn't care but this is the only behaviour that give us grief, everything else she's an angel.

It's the walk on the way out that's the worst cause she's full of energy as well. On the way back she's knackered so will listen to a point. She's just so strong for the size of her, nearly knocks you off your feet.

May just bite the bullet and buy one. You can rent them as well but seems a waste of money to rent.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-11-2005, 11:20 AM
Hi Wufflehoond........I have a "Masterplus Pro" which I use on Millie( not so often now)........we found, and I have tried EVERYTHING!..... to destract her attention from other dogs..........it is the only thing I have found that works, it just breaks her concentration for a second ,long enough for me to get her attention on me............they are expensive about £150.......... but you can hire them first and the way it works is , you pay for the collar, them if you feel it is not working they will refund your money less a weekly charge, about £10 a week........ you can also buy them second hind.......do a seach on the net for the best price..............dont buy the "spray commander" it is not as good, but is a lot cheaper.............

they do not harm the dog in any way.......it just blows a blast of water under the dogs chin........some people may not like to use "gimmicks".....but sometimes everything else "does" fail..............and I now can walk Millie past other dogs , getting her to "watch me", and only occasionally use it now.

If you feel it is your only option then give it a go............you can send them back , and get your refund........I can only say it works for me!!!!!!
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2005, 11:23 AM
Thanks so much for that Jackbox, I don't like to go for Gimmicks but I really do think it will distract her and that's what we need to do. I'm going to have a look for one now.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-11-2005, 11:27 AM
Just found were I got mine from.......

www.doggiesolutions.co.uk

It came within a couple of days........
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2005, 11:35 AM
LOL, just ordered one from that site. Have had things from there before, bought it outright. Can always flog it on EBay if it doesn't work I'm off over Christmas so probably the best time to really get working with it. Will let you know how we get on. Thanks again xx
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2005, 03:56 PM
Well, I never. Ordered this yesterday, arrived today. OH has just called to say he had the first EVER perfect walk to the park and back, no spinning, no barking, nothing. Early days yet, but if it lasts we have a winner!!!!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >