View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2013, 10:14 PM

Alfie has eaten some kitchen paper towel...

Dad found Alfie having eaten some paper towel which had some excess oil on from sausages.

My brother had had the sausages and then apparently just balanced the kitchen paper onto the top of the bin and not closed the top properly and Alfie has managed to pull them down and, by the looks of it, eat some.

This was an hour or so ago, and he has now been out to pee/try to poo a few times since, which isn't like him at all. He is now curled up fast asleep in his bed.

When he had a phase pf chewing up socks and eating bits they always passed through fine (even when he ate a chunk of towel as a pup the vet said there was no blockage or anything) as he generally picks off tiny bits and eats them like that. I am hoping that's what has happened this time too!

Will this do him any harm? Should it pass through?

(I will add, this dog has amazing timing and every time he has needed a vet so far it's been when the vet is shut and we end up along at the emergency vet!)
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2013, 10:19 PM
I am not a vet but ... I would not worry about this at all.

My last dog (a Cavvy) was OBSESSED with tissues, toilet roll, and even the thick restaurant serviettes. So much so that I actually asked the vet about it. He told me it was harmless and in fact some people used bits of cut up tissue mixed in dog food (yes honestly!) to bulk it out if they wanted the dog to lose weight!

I mean this is some years ago but the dog survived it and she probably ate some tissue almost every day of her life. Didn't just tear it up - she ate it. She did pull it to shreds first.

We used to put it another way and say she was so 'posh' that she ate the tissue before she pooed so that it wiped her bum on the way out!

Someone might say different. I am only telling you what my vet said.

My minpin I have now also was obsessed with tissue (what is it with tissue?) when she was very young. She grew out of it. But if she saw you get a tissue out your pocket or bag she'd go crazy for it. And used to pull all the loo roll down too. Doesn't do it now.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2013, 10:24 PM
Would add that I've read on here about members' dogs who've eaten whole small garments! Not to mention much more disgusting (to me) articles. Dirty nappies. All sorts.

I'd be worried if it was a plastic bag or a plastic item even (read about dogs eating stuff like that too).

*you do realise they only do it to worry you don't you? lol!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-11-2013, 10:27 PM
Hi Kammi I wouldn't be too worried, kitchen roll should disintegrate quite quickly and pass through Alfie's tummy.

Chloe has eaten lots of tissues and kitchen roll in her time .
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2013, 10:38 PM
I too would say that there should be little to worry about if it was just kitchen paper; all our dogs have had a thing about tissues and kitchen roll, whether they had grease on them or not!!

As long as you are sure that there was nothing else at the top of the bin, like bones etc. that Alfie might have eaten.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2013, 10:43 PM
My dog was obviously 'posh' coz she liked CLEAN tissue!
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2013, 12:03 AM
Thanks all!
Hopefully he will be okay then and just needs the next day or so to get it all out his system!
Silly doggy!
DaisyD0g
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2013, 02:02 AM
Gawd Daisy eats kitchen paper, tissues, steals loo rolls all the time.. I obviously don't encourage this but it has never done her any harm.

Today she shredded a plastic bag that I had mistakenly left in the car, I am hoping this passes through IF she swallowed any, it was mostly just shredded and left all over the car - or on the upside maybe her poop will come out pre-bagged!!!
Mrs T
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-11-2013, 08:41 AM
Just like others, Henry is obsessed with anything paper and has devoured it before l could get to him! No harm done so l wouldn't worry.

Jackie
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-11-2013, 09:16 AM
As Pereg always manages to get into the bedroom and onto the bed before I do, the first thing she does is burrow under the pillows to see if I have left any tissues there, and if she finds any she eats them. I gave up trying to stop her a long time ago and just try to remember not to leave any there. She still burrows to check though, just in case I have forgotten.

Also I always keep some tissues in the side bag of my chair and have to make sure that it is always zipped up, as if I forget to she roots in it to remove - and eat - the tissues.

As for the bin - I usually have to put something on top of it to stop her from nosing the lid up - but it is only tissues or kitchen paper she is interested in, nothing else!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >