Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hannaho
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-05-2011, 08:07 PM

Cruciate ligiment rupture

hi has anyone had any experince of this??

my mums dog was running in the mountains and her back leg went down a small hole, she limped for a couple of days but didnt cry or look in pain. anyway my mum took her to the vets and they said its cruciate ligiment rupture they said they could operate but ofter the operation will have to rest for 8 weeks basicaly in a cage as theres no resting with her!
shes a small jack russell and is 11 years old so we dont want to do this as it may not work anyway.

just wondering if this is a common thing and whats the best thing to do

thanks
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2011, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by Hannaho View Post
hi has anyone had any experince of this??

my mums dog was running in the mountains and her back leg went down a small hole, she limped for a couple of days but didnt cry or look in pain. anyway my mum took her to the vets and they said its cruciate ligiment rupture they said they could operate but ofter the operation will have to rest for 8 weeks basicaly in a cage as theres no resting with her!
shes a small jack russell and is 11 years old so we dont want to do this as it may not work anyway.

just wondering if this is a common thing and whats the best thing to do

thanks
I would say go for the op, it will only get worse i would have thought. Small dogs seem to recover quicker aswell. We have ones come hydro a few weeks after having the op.
Hannaho
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-05-2011, 08:15 PM
the operation isnt really an option she had an injection when she was a pup for her boosters and had an anerflectic shock and nearly died so if she went for it the vet said theres a chance this could happen again and the op might do more harm than good considering her age

i was just wondering the other options really , shes on some serum that helps with joints thats getting added to her food , and she does put her weight on it now its been 3 weeks but is still limping

thanks
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2011, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by kirsty_ View Post
I would say go for the op, it will only get worse i would have thought. Small dogs seem to recover quicker aswell. We has ones come hydro a few weeks after having the op.
as soon as stitches are out if at all possible its the first 6 weeks that are most important.

11 isnt old for a jrt...if its a full rupture there isnt much choice other than surgery.

its a common injury and a common op(smalls get away without a tplo)
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2011, 08:19 PM
the operation isnt really an option she had an injection when she was a pup for her boosters and had an anerflectic shock and nearly died so if she went for it the vet said theres a chance this could happen again and the op might do more harm than good considering her age

i was just wondering the other options really , shes on some serum that helps with joints thats getting added to her food , and she does put her weight on it now its been 3 weeks but is still limping

thanks
oh right, hydrotherapy will help, keeping her slim and the painkillers which shes on. Hope she gets on ok
Im sure someone will be along with some more advice
Hannaho
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-05-2011, 08:21 PM
tbh i didnt know what it was when my mum said didnt realize its something that will defently need surgery i will have to tell her to go back to the vets

such a shame she was only running - i thought hydro thearpy would be good ill have to look into that too thanks xx
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2011, 08:22 PM

thanks
that is a classic vaccine reaction(one of the true ones!) so wouldnt really have anything to do with a ga.

that aside,if it isnt a full rupture ,........antiinflamatories are a must!!(meloxidyl,carprofen etc),as are nutricuticles i would recommend...

http://www.trmpet.com/index.php/engl...de-powder.html

and....

http://www.trmpet.com/index.php/engl...og-liquid.html

on lead exercise only,hydrotherapy and physio.
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2011, 08:23 PM
tbh i didnt know what it was when my mum said didnt realize its something that will defently need surgery i will have to tell her to go back to the vets

such a shame she was only running - i thought hydro thearpy would be good ill have to look into that too thanks xx
I've know dogs not be operated on but only due to them being too old
Hannaho
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-05-2011, 08:24 PM
ive never took my dogs for boosters after this happened good job i didnt didnt know it was so common!!

great thanks for the links i will defently tell her to go back shes on a diet at the mo aswell shes a tad over weight which needs to be sorted x