Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bugzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-11-2009, 11:51 PM

Lung worm?

Hiya

Does anyone know if it possible for dogs to get lungworm if you are sure that they haven't eaten any slugs or snails?

The reason i'm asking is because Bugzy developed a cough and was very lethargic about a week after Darlington Champ show, I took him into the vets because it is not like Bugzy to just lay in his bed and he looked very depressed and the vet gave him antibiotics and said it was kennel cough.
Well the first lot of antibiotics didnt work, he still had the cough so he had a second course.
He still has this cough though, and although he isn't as lethargic as he was, he just doesnt seem his usual self yet.
Someone mentioned to me that it could be lungworm.
I know for a fact that Bugzy hasn't eaten any slugs or snails because I always watch Bugzy and Meeka in the garden.
Is it possible to get lungworm from raw meats? (All the dogs are raw fed, I feed human grade meats from the supermarket to the dogs so I know its fresh )
Double Trouble
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-11-2009, 12:04 AM
I believe that dogs can also become infected with the parasite if they have drank water where snail and slugs have been and also off their toys etc! do not know how true this is but certainly something I have been told! Which is rather worrying. Sure you will know that if it is can be sucessfully treated if done so early.
DT
Natalia_leigh
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-11-2009, 12:30 AM
Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
I believe that dogs can also become infected with the parasite if they have drank water where snail and slugs have been and also off their toys etc! do not know how true this is but certainly something I have been told! Which is rather worrying. Sure you will know that if it is can be sucessfully treated if done so early.
DT
Ive read this in a leaflet sat in the vets your dogs can catch lungworm from slug trails so baisically anywere a slug and snail has been your dog can catch lungworm off.
Hope is all is well with your dog.
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-11-2009, 07:09 AM
i also believe it can be contacted through just the slug/snail trail, panacur 10% given over 7 consecutive days treats lungworm tho if the dog has been ill for a while it may be best to take him back to the vets
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2009, 07:58 AM
hi
all it takes is to eat a blade of grass ,play with a toy etc that a slug or snail has been on
we routinely treat any coughing dog for lungworm with advocate just in case
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2009, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by NOUSHKA05 View Post
i also believe it can be contacted through just the slug/snail trail, panacur 10% given over 7 consecutive days treats lungworm tho if the dog has been ill for a while it may be best to take him back to the vets
I did this a few years ago for a dog with a persistent cough and it did the trick.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-11-2009, 10:33 AM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
hi
all it takes is to eat a blade of grass ,play with a toy etc that a slug or snail has been on
we routinely treat any coughing dog for lungworm with advocate just in case
Yep same here!!

Originally Posted by NOUSHKA05
Advocate is a one off treatment, like flea treatment.. (dropped on the neck)

My vet was saying they are seeing an increase in "lung worm " cases nowadays!!
bugzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-11-2009, 12:40 PM
Thanks everyone.

Bugzy, Meeka and Aura are due to be wormed next wednesday, I normally worm them with Milbemax from the vets, is it safe to give them their Milbemax tablet/s and the advocate at the same time? ( I cant use panacur on the Min Pins as when Bugzy was little Panacur made him really ill, so the vet doesn't like to give them that particular wormer now)

I think i'll pop into the vets on the way to pick Sharnah up from the stables this afternoon and get their worming tablets and the advocate then? I dont think worming a week early will hurt them?

I've been out in the garden and bleached all the slabs, picked up all the toys outside and binned them just in case.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2009, 01:08 PM
as far as i know milbemax covers lungworm
bugzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-11-2009, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
as far as i know milbemax covers lungworm
Thanks Tupac you've just saved the Hubby's credit card some pennies, not that he minds, i've got him that well trained now he doesn't even roll his eyes or ask how much have I spent when I go to the vets these days
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >