Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2009, 08:49 AM

Snatching Food.

My friends Yorkie snatches food, especially treats, quite roughly and they don't know how to stop the behaviour.

I have promised him that you folk will come up with an answer
Suzie is a 2 year old miniature Yorkshire terrier.

Can someone help please?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-09-2009, 09:22 AM
Hi Nippy one way is to close the hand over the treat and let the dog sniff the hand then turn it palm up and gradually open the hand to reveal the treat letting the dog lick it and saying 'gently' covering the treat if the dog tries to grab. Once the dog has taken the treat 'gently' give praise.

Progress to holding the treat in the fingers with very little exposed again allowing the dog to sniff and lick, then say the word 'gently' which the dog should have learnt by then and give the treat/praise.

You can also ask the dog to sit/put the treat on the floor and let the dog pick it up but this doesn't teach to take gently.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-09-2009, 09:23 AM
Teach the leave it and wait commands, if she snatches don't let her have it, use a treat that they can easily close their hand on and if she tries to snatch swiftly close the hand and say ah ah or words to that effect. I find it usually takes minutes to teach. I'd also practice getting her to leave a treat alone while placed on the floor between her paws until told ok or until it's given to her.