Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SarahJ
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-10-2007, 08:51 PM

Hands up who is a vegetarian?

I have been totally off chicken for a few weeks now (i have a very good reason i wont go into ) my husband treated me to a lamb dinner Sunday and i just couldnt eat it, today at work i had ham sandwiches which i took the ham off as i couldnt even face that....

I suppose not for cruelty purposes i have just totally gone off meat and its purely purely pshycological (sp) whats the basics of being a veggie? has anyone got any sites to reccomend? i could probably do with eating more healthily anyway..
pam2
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-10-2007, 09:03 PM
Veggie here
I looked at a plate of meat one day, thought it used to be alive, and haven't touched meat since!!
Try the Vegetarian Society website, good recipes and information.
Luckily for me, I love vegetables
If only I could stop eating crisps I would be quite healthy!
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2007, 09:11 PM
I've been a vegetarian most of my life, my mum used to try and force me to eat meat even when I was at infant school and gave up in the end.

I'm quite naughty, I don't take any supplements and don't have a varied diet. I do, however, eat a lot of fruit and drink a lot of pure fruit juice. I try to eat vegetables on a regular basis too.

I think that my body has adjusted itself and works just fine because of the number of years I've not eaten meat and fish, but I think if you have eaten meat all your life you should take supplements in some form.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2007, 09:14 PM
Isn't it amazing how out bodies adapt, I don't eat vegetables except potatoes, and very rarely eat fruit. Just meat and potatoes for me and I can exist quite happily on that lol!
Becky
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2007, 09:32 PM
My youngest daughter went veggie about 4 months ago now

she is eating quite well at the moment, just hope she keeps it up
i have no problem with it, she can be what she wants as long as it dont make her ill
SarahJ
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-10-2007, 09:34 PM
Oh supplements? isnt it funny how we cater for our dogs so well yet i dont think of anything like that for myself lol...

The truth is i have started work in a chicken factory, that doesnt bother me but i handle raw chicken every day and just the texture has totally put me off all meats i can envisage what is was like before it was cooked and it really is making me ill....

I would eat anything there as the rules are so strict they even take spot swab checks off your hands its just with me handling the meat yuck i cant eat meat no more so its just a personal thing

Could you explain what a varied veggie diet is?
abbie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2007, 09:40 PM
We are veggies and eat a varied veggie diet. i.e exactly what a meat eating person would eat but with meat substitutes. Theres a really good choice of alternatives to meat even here in Ireland and UK has alot more choice so theres no reason to be a veggie and have a boring diet of vegetables and/or vegetable mush burgers as it used to be.
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2007, 09:52 PM
Despite being surrounded by bullocks and sheep which I talk to when out walking, despite knowing that at a certain age they go off to the slaughterhouse, despite visiting the slaughterhouse from time to time to buy Deccy tripe (the MOST DISGUSTING stuff I have ever seen, especially when you buy a "whole" one) and seeing the animals in pens one end, and the carcasses the other....... I am still a meat eater, clearly there is no hope for me!
However, due to being on a tight budget I don't eat much meat these days and would probably be quite happy being a vegetarian, just not commited enough to actually do it. Plus I like meat.
I have the greatest respect for those who decide to be vegetarian, for whatever reason, but I have little time for people who screech about the French eating horses, for example, or not wanting to hear what age lambs go to the slaughter, literally, before tucking into their roast meat dinner....
It's true that there is much more available these days for non-meat eaters, which can only be good. I'm all for choice.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2007, 10:31 PM
I was veggie for a good few years but through laziness ate a very limited diet.

These days I eat poultry and fish but no red meat. I reckon I could quite happily give up the poultry but not fish. I adore it.

I cook some nice veggie meals for my little girl - things like patties/falafels, stews, stir-frys, bean stews, veggies in cheese sauce, veggie pies, etc. although she has poultry and fish too.
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2007, 10:57 PM
Love my veggies but dont think i could go without meat LOVE a Sunday roast
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >