Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mdifrancia
New Member!

28-05-2006, 04:59 PM

Two dogs with serious bald patches!!!

Hey all...

I'm back again with hopefully a less serious problem than the last time...

We're now down to 3 Shiba Inu's (after losing their parents Tucker and Doris to cancer last year)...

In January we moved to Florida (southern United States) which has a tropical climate all year round...We're currently experiencing temps in the 90's (F) and as Summer approaches the heat and humidity will get worse...

A month or so ago, two of the dogs started to shed terribly...(The other one has always had a much thinner coat and rarely sheds the undercoat during the hot months)...The shedding was worse than usual, but we just assumed they were going through their "great shed" and basically starting with a whole new coat (something we've endured before)...

Today, I was brushing out the last of the thick under coat and noticed huge bald patches in several spots, on both dogs...I examined the skin and it looked healthy (a little danderuff, but no bites or visible fleas)...I'm a little concerned about this...The new coat is healthy and shiney...the skin looks good...Any ideas what I should look at next as a possible reason for these bald patches???
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2006, 05:22 PM
could it perhaps be mange??whatever it is i hope you get it sorted out
Petstalk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2006, 06:05 PM
It could be many number of things. If very worried I would get it checked out at the vets. I hope that its nothing serious and gets sorted out very soon.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-05-2006, 06:11 PM
Hello mdifrancia the fact that it is two dogs with the problem not one is indicative of a skin problem of some kind. The cause could be a number of things and I hesitate to speculate particularly when you are not in this country and have access to different parasites, not much help to you I know.

I think this is one that calls for a check up with the vet and a skin scrape to rule out any skin problems

Good to hear from you again in less sad circumstances than on the previous occasion