Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2007, 05:19 PM

update on sam (arthritus in spine)

sam was taken to the vets the other week with a poorly paw - turns out she ahs arthritus in her spine - so shes on metacam

today - my mum took her for a walk with the other dog - she kept sam on her lead - anyhow - she droped the lead by accident andthe other dog got it and played tuggies for a few seconds - then suddenly sam lifeted her back paw up again

mum took her straight back to the vets- where they said it coudl possibly be a tumor - they cant be 100% sure its the arthritus thats hurting her

tbh - we said sam is the type of dog to just 'drop'. this is just so sudden though

if she doesnt improve (which today her hips twisted when she got up and walked) then she has to have this scan which costs £1200 - our insurance company pay 12 weeks after the scan!!!!! (omg)

and if that dosent have a conclusion and shes stil in pain or discomfort then we will have to send her to doggie heaven.

god im crying writing this - pathetic init - might not even be that bad

majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2007, 05:29 PM
So sorry to hear this Suze.

Please try not to worry though (easier said than done I know).

From what you are saying she was only started on the metacam recently and it may take some time for the drugs to fully kick in which may be why she is still very sore.

Have you discussed things like hydrotherapy and accupunture with your vet? My mum's lab has bad hips and about 18 months ago he was having real problems and could hardly move for a few days. He is on metacam and goes swimming a couple of times a week and he is like a new dog! He had a flare up of hip pain a couple of weeks ago and mum took him for accupuncture and he was much brighter after that.

Is the scan to detect if there is a tumour?

Hugs to you and Sam xx
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2007, 05:36 PM
yeah - shes been on metacam for almost 2 weeks

we though yesterday it had really kicked in cos she seemed realy lively (not back to normal but compared to what she was)

the scans going to happen if theres no improvement. shes on a higher dose of metacam -

yes the scans to detect for a possible tumour - the vets not saying it is - hes just suggesting - but from what we can gather there more to what the problem is than arthritus - theres also talk of needles etc - i think to see whats going on with the arthritus - we both agreed that we wont put her through that- unless absolutely necessary

hoepfully she'll improve and i was thinking of the swimming - she used to love it in the canal and lakes lol

i will suggest accupuncture to my mum - im the resistered owner of sam - but in the last couple of years shes more her dog now - so its a joint decision i guess (regarding anything)

think its acase of keeping her comfortable and pain free for now
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2007, 05:48 PM
Fingers crossed that it is just arthritis and that the metacam does her good, it may be that the first dose just wasn't strong enough?

My mum's dog has only had the one session of accupunture but it really benefited him. Hopefully someone with more accupuncture experience will be along soon!

The swimming has been really good for him though and I would recommend that.

Healing hugs for Sam, please let us know how she gets on xx
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2007, 05:51 PM
i will let you know how she gets on and will look into accupuncture and swimming as im sure it will help her.

thanks
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2007, 06:01 PM
healing hugs for Sam