Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dejavu
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-07-2007, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by nero View Post
I must say, you've got me stumped on sata DVD drives, never herd of em.
SATA HD's need a different power connector than IDE's, they're slimmer, you get an adapter that plugs into the wiring loom from the PSU.
the guy gave me that look cos vista is not long out, IME, never buy an OS until it's been on the market at least 18mths.
I would've stuck with 98se, but software writers favour XP for their platform.

Hi nero. Sata hdd's can use both power connectors, the only difference is the sata power connector is a little neater compared to the 4 pin molex connectors. The latest sata dvd drives are equipped with only the sata power connector, but even if your psu has no sata power connectors you can use an adapter (4pin molex to sata power connector) The reason the drives are made with two power connections is probablly due to the fact some users with older psu's wont have sata connectors...

I'm using two different power connectors on my Sata II Raid0 configured drives because I have a modular psu and didnt want to plug in another Sata power cable to clutter things up.

Btw that was a bargain you got for your ddr2 memory. I'm using 3 sticks of 1GB Geil PC2-6400 DDR2-800 memory, (I originally had 4 but soon discovered having 4gb in a 32bit OS is no use to man nor beast) 3gb is the limit for 32bit windows, it wont show or use anymore than 3gb (I gave Rose (Brandykins)) the 1gb ram for her new pc I built for her). I could have used it all (and more) in XP or vista 64bit but i find there is not enough software & hardware support in these os's yet. Western Digital don't even have a firewire 800 driver for there external hard drives to use with Vista 64 yet, and how long has vista been out long enough.

Dugless.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3