View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2007, 07:37 PM
We have got one dog that came from a rescue and one we rehomed from someone who didn't want her anymore.

Rosie: Her previous owner lost his job and was trying to sell his dogs but thought she was too old to sell as she was 6ish. She was a working dog but we were told she wouldn't pick up. Our plan was to take her, as he was saying he was going to shoot her, which I don't believe actually, and then if she didn't settle with us or get on with the other dogs, we would find her a good home. She stayed lol. She is a great dog, although very nervous when we first brought her home. I think she had been trained using quite harsh methods as it took a couple of seasons for her to be relaxed with us, rather than walk to heel throughout the day. She even started to retrieve. She is a great house dog and her only annoying habit is that she whinges when the food is being soaked lol.

Tia: came from NESSR. We were looking for a spaniel to take over from Rosie as she was slowing down. She will still manage a couple of seasons but we thought another one would take the pressure off her. Contacted NESSR to see if they had anything suitable and we were told about Tia. She had come in at around 8 months as her previous owners didn't want her. We couldn't have asked for a better dog. She is great around the other dogs, she is great in the house, she doesn't run off and she is very much focused on us now. We'll spend the summer training her and she will come out with us beating next season. She did do a couple of days last season and she showed a LOT of promise.

Would I rescue again, definitely.

Helen
Chellie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-03-2007, 07:19 PM
After losing 3 GSD's in as many years I decided that we would stick with just our Akita, Nala especially as everyone kept telling me that she would never accept another dog into the house (we already had the others when we got her).

About 18 months after we had lost the last GSD we went to a rescue home to look around a craft fair. As we were about to leave we saw a young dog being carried into the rescue centre. Being nosey I went to see what was going on. The person carrying it said to another 'I don't think we will put this one up for adoption, it's a potential timebomb'

Red rag to a bull I went into the reception to enquire about the dog. Turns out it was a GSD x Akita that had been locked in a 12 foot square yard all of it's short 6 month life and fed on dry pasta Never been on a collar and lead, never seen grass or anything similar.

My mind was made up, I was going to have her I told the people behind the desk that I wanted her and they replied that they did not think that my circumstances were suitable, I had Nala, I had 2 children under 12 (they only rehome big dogs with children over 14) and I worked.

It took 2 weeks of phoning every day asking after her, explaining that my children had been brought up aroung GSD's and Akitas so were sensible etc etc until they gave in. As long as Nala got on with her, we could have her

Nala was a star when we went to see her, the kids were sensible and did not fight amongst themselves and so Willow became ours.

It wasn't easy at the beginning as she was scared of everything, getting in the car, getting out of the car, grass, puddles, collar and lead but she settled in eventually.

7 years on my potential time bomb is the most gentle, loving dog you could wish toown. She is a great house dog and, when on a walk, we are often stopped by people wanting to stroke her.

Yes, I would rescue again (and in a way have, but that's another story).

As a footnote, I have never heard anything from the rescue since the day I brought her home, it's as if they wiped their hands of her
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2007, 07:55 PM
:smt022 :smt022 :smt022 :smt022

Some of these stories are unbelievable, what stars you all are, how you've given these dogs your love, understanding and patience and made them happy and cared for once more. It never ceases to amaze me how they can put their trust in humans again after the terrible traumas some of them have been through. I wish the World was full of people like you lot

My white gsd is my first ever rescue, but he wasn't mistreated, his owner died, but he did have a hard time as she was an alcoholic and you never knew if he was fed or let out etc. from mid-day on. He was only ever walked around the block with his ball in his mouth, but no-one was allowed to throw it for him. He had his own "room" off the kitchen, he wasn't allowed in the house. When he first came to me he didn't know what a kitchen was so I had his nose stuck in everything I opened, especially the fridge!!! He was never let off the lead, so it wasn't surprising he had no recall whatsoever, now all that's changed, thanks to my other gsd teaching him some home rules! When he first came here, he was constantly asking to go out in the garden, and I thought it must be a male dog thing, until I realised it was because he had never had a routine, so everytime the back door was opened he thought he'd better relieve himself coz he didn't know when he would be let out again! The rescue girl told me he used to eat his own poo, and this was due to him being told off so badly if he poo'd in the house, so he used to eat it to get rid of the evidence!

I remember once when I went to give him a carrot after their last wee of the night when they came back from outside, but as I gave it to him, I realised it was the smaller one which was for Cassie, and I said. rather loudly I suppose "George" and went to quickly grab it back out of his mouth, I will never forget how he cowered down and put his ears back tightly and shut his eyes, as if I was going to clout him!!!! I couldn't believe he would think that, but then I thought to myself he's a rescue, so he could have been mistreated in the past, and I got on the floor and cuddled that dog soooooo hard and cried at the thought of someone wanting to ever hurt him. I eventually gave him his carrot though! I will always rescue again, no matter what problem the dog might have, it's got to be worth it to give them half a chance hasn't it, bless them all.
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-03-2007, 08:28 PM
Of all the dogs i've had and currently have, I love them all-but the one true soulmate was my dear Polly. Rescued on a mass scale along with other terriers which had been kept in cramped and dirty conditions, badly beaten, poorly sociallised-the dog was an outcast! They thought she'd never be homeable..never be a member of a family and was really just classed as a 'no hope' case.
She came too us..used to attack everyone, was highly dog aggressive, would never settle, and used to hate people..even went as far as trying to kill anyone strange..but she bonded with me, and that bond was there for a lot of years.
Towards the end of her days..she lived with two other dogs n two cats, rabbits, guinea-pigs etc..had totaly changed how she was.
I miss her..its nearing a year but i still miss her so much. I would rescue tomorrow, but i doubt we would be deemed suitable as having multiple other animals..and Ralph being intact n so forth..rescue's are just TOO o.t.t in many homing cases-jmo.
barneys mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-03-2007, 09:40 PM
This is Sam from Ireland who I saw him on Cavalier rescue I have to thank them every day here he is with my other dogs

I received a sad call this morning from the very kind people at the Roscommon SPCA who have worked with me to home a couple of cavaliers. The gentle and shy blenheim 6 year old who came into rescue (the one listed in online small ads) has a grade 5 heart murmur. This means I cannot home him to the home that had been intended.

Though his murmur is at this high stage, I don't believe he is yet coughing. His heart is enlarged however. With a mix of inexpensive heart drugs, he could live for months or years. Or he may have just a few weeks.

His situation places me in a difficult position of trying to make the best decision for this sweet cavalier who has not had the best life initially though as the vet and SPCA people note, was very well cared for more recently. They say he is a really lovely dog but are concerned about having him in kennels with damp outdoor runs at this time of year, given his condition.

They and I are hoping someone may wish to give this fellow a retirement home until his time comes.

The other choice is to let him go.

So this is a very special urgent appeal for this fellow. I will need to make a final decision by next week.
CKCS SM Infosite

This is the write up that I read about Sam and I was happy to take him on and I would do it all again-----Aileen
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-06-2007, 07:20 PM
All 3 of my Dobermanns came from rescue centers.

Ruby who's 3 years old came from Dobermanns in need.
http://www.dobeinneed.co.uk

Onyx who's 2-years old came from Dobermann Rescue Ltd
http://www.dobermann-rescue.co.uk/index.htm

and poor old Max who's 6-years old was going to be put down as he was in a cross breed kennel and no one wanted him, so we took him in.

Stupid thing is that I'm actuallly on the look out for another young Dobie bitch as we have loads of room at home, but I'm just waiting for the right bitch to come along that will get on with my existing 3 Dobes and the 3 cats.

Colin
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2007, 08:59 PM
My boy juke was from a rescue shelter , his mum died of cancer or so the note attached to the box he was abandoned at the side of the road outside the rescue centre stated and him and his two sisters and two other brothers were sent to foster homes , juke was beautiful from the moment i set eyes on him and hew remained with me until he was 8yrs old when i regrettfully had to say farewell as i helped ease his pain , he had developed cancer for the third time in his short life only this time it could not be removed he had a very aggressive type of cancer that showed when it was in its later stages ,it affected his brain and he also developed a bone tumour on his spine .., he had quite a few health complaints in his life , but always remained high spirtited and loven and loyal .
You are forever missed my boy
vincent smith
Dogsey Senior
Male 

04-12-2007, 08:43 PM
me&stella we had a phone call from the rspca last week to say that they have got a siberian huskie male 2years old looking for a home would we like to give him a home so last saturday we went to see harley thats his name and we took wolfy with us as the rspca sade its ok so they both can become frends both huskie's was let of there leads in a run and they got on ok,and tuesday today we went to see harley again and they both was playing and harley jumping up me&stella so while stella at work saturday i am going to see harley and pick him up this saturday if i can as we can not wait to give him a nice home with us as he can come scootering with us all the time.
EGAR
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-12-2007, 08:53 PM
All mine are rescues (a bit obvious considering that I run my own rescue ). However, the latest addition did not come from my own rescue but from Cottage Rescue in Tipperary. Sheena is a Shih Tzu x Wirehaird Terrier and within 3 weeks started to rule the roost, no small accomplishment considering the rest of my dogs are WAY bigger than her and she is only a pupster!
queenwillow
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2007, 09:14 PM
hello

willow is my girlie ,she is collie (poss collie tiny bit spaniel) she was 2/3 we were told very quiet shy ,what they didnt notice was scared stiff of men ,there is deff a story there some where , she was to be dylan sister ,which she has fit the bill perfectly . she has learnt in twelve months that she can relax and be happy and content ,and live her life with out fear ,she has come on leap and bounds ,she was very under feed when she arrived i was very up set when she stood next to dylan whom is ,the same age ,they have had very diffrent starts in life . she is my shadow and she truly loves me ,i love this lovely girl ,she is sweet and loyal and very loveing .who ever spoilt this lovely girl and brought her fear ,should be a shamed ,ive turned that round for her ,i just wish i had had her as a puppy , but then i couldnt have turned up and sorted this lovely girls life out for her ,willow i think me and you were meant to meet . the rescue i do send them up dates ,i do feel that they probably dont remember her though , she was probably just a number in a kennel small rescue well thats a diffrent story isnt it .:smt001
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >