Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2011, 12:03 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I'm all for spending money IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT.

So many people fall into dire financial situations because they live above their means. If he can afford to buy and run the car he is interested in, then fine. If he is talking about taking out loans to fund it or the running costs are substantially more than what is realistically affordable, then yes you are right to be concerned.

I don't follow the "you are only young once" rubbish as an excuse for poor spending decisions. Age has nothing to do with spending your money sensibly.
Originally Posted by Rolosmum View Post
I dont think age comes into this in the slightest, i think the situation you have yourself in, your incomings and outgoings and the whole life you lead has to make the decisions and if you choose to live and share your life with someone something as important as a car whereby you will be borrowing money to buy it must be a mutual decision.

If he has taken on the responsibility of a home with a partner, yes it is unfortunate that he finds himself responsible for all bills for the time being, but at what age does he need to take responsibility? It isnt an age thing it is a stage thing! If you want to be able to freely do as you want then forget the partner and do it, but sometimes you can not have your cake and eat it. And to say he is young he has a life to lead is fine but he has chosen to do this with someone.
Well put I totally agree with both of these posts.
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-10-2011, 01:17 AM
I can understand your frustration - my OH is slowly getting himself into thousands of pounds of debt and isn't paying any attention to my words of warning. At the end of the day, it is technically 'his' money and you can only do your best to advise him and hope he ends up seeing sense before he makes a mistake.

Is there any chance you could make a compromise? Say, he can have his car but only once you have a job and are both handling all of the bills (inc. everything for his Scenic) without any help from his parents? That way you are not being unfair or stopping him from doing what he wants, you are just saying 'not until we are more financially secure'.

Of course it is rubbish when you have to be the voice of reason and squash someone's dreams but if he goes ahead and buys the car and then can't afford to pay the bills, it will affect you too. It would be different if you weren't living together but he made the conscious decision to move in with you and rent somewhere together so he needs to be responsible for that before he is able to fulfil his 'living life to the full' desire.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2011, 07:59 AM
Originally Posted by Magpyex View Post
I can understand your frustration - my OH is slowly getting himself into thousands of pounds of debt and isn't paying any attention to my words of warning. At the end of the day, it is technically 'his' money and you can only do your best to advise him and hope he ends up seeing sense before he makes a mistake.

Is there any chance you could make a compromise? Say, he can have his car but only once you have a job and are both handling all of the bills (inc. everything for his Scenic) without any help from his parents? That way you are not being unfair or stopping him from doing what he wants, you are just saying 'not until we are more financially secure'.

Of course it is rubbish when you have to be the voice of reason and squash someone's dreams but if he goes ahead and buys the car and then can't afford to pay the bills, it will affect you too. It would be different if you weren't living together but he made the conscious decision to move in with you and rent somewhere together so he needs to be responsible for that before he is able to fulfil his 'living life to the full' desire.
I'm going to list out the finances with him - so he can go along with me and see how much it costs - rather than me do it for him and then suggest to him - again, that he waits until next year... and next year is when the drive is being re done.. so it's not just mud but a better surface. (In laws wanted to get it done - I was happy with paving slabs)

And hopefully he'll point out that for 6 months next year he won't be in this country so it'll be sat somewhere seizing brakes up and begging to be stolen.. our drive isn't secure and he can't fit it in his parents garage - being an american car it's longer..

Sometimes I wish I could be psychic and see whats going on in his head..
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2011, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
I'm going to list out the finances with him - so he can go along with me and see how much it costs - rather than me do it for him and then suggest to him - again, that he waits until next year... and next year is when the drive is being re done.. so it's not just mud but a better surface. (In laws wanted to get it done - I was happy with paving slabs)

And hopefully he'll point out that for 6 months next year he won't be in this country so it'll be sat somewhere seizing brakes up and begging to be stolen.. our drive isn't secure and he can't fit it in his parents garage - being an american car it's longer..

Sounds like a good plan of action, good luck!
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-10-2011, 10:38 AM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post

I agree with Insomnia, I think you've got a good plan there! Perhaps if he can see what the downsides are for him then he'll be more inclined to wait.

I know what you mean about being psychic, wouldn't it be nice to be able to see what's going on in there?
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-10-2011, 07:34 PM
Sounds pretty silly to me.
If you can't afford it and it isn't practical then it isn't really an option is it?!

I got a bit annoyed with Stephens car because we had to go everywhere in my car if Teg was with us, but we managed to compromise in that I put covers in Stephens car (leather seats) and got a seatbelt clip thing for Teg and it's fine.

Maybe a car that feels "exciting" but is still practical?
Page 8 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8