View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

02-03-2011, 09:22 PM

A few thoughts/questions relating to malware.

There’ve been a couple of posts recently about virus/malware related issues. As I do from time to time, I’d like to try to understand why your average computer user seems resigned to put up with this nonsense while I (And many others!) enjoy a much quieter and practically malware free online/computing life. The only possible reasons I can think of are inertia and unawareness that there are ways to really put a stop to this sort of thing making a mess of your day/week.

By inertia, I mostly mean if you go into a high-street shop to buy a PC it will almost certainly come with the malware magnet we lovingly know as Windows installed on it. Clearly, users with even average computer competence will be hesitant to do much about that. By unawareness, I mean how many of you have heard Linux being mentioned apart from through me? Sure, you’ll have heard of Apple’s OS X but that could well be an expensive proposition to migrate to.

Another kind of related question I have is, is there a demand for a service to rectify this problem. I mean properly rectify! Not just patch up an infected PC and send it back as ‘fixed’… The service I have in mind would provide consultancy relating to migrating existing PC hardware from Windows to Linux, potentially including doing installs if required. The ‘business model’ would be: initial consultancy/information is supplied to enable the client to make an informed decision as to the viability of a Linux system for what they use their PC for. I fully appreciate that some people would have to put up with Windows problems due to some other overriding factor. If the client decides to migrate and agrees the best way to achieve this, then they could either try an install themselves with guidance or send their PC (With P&P pre-paid by them for outbound and return journeys!) to have the install done remotely. The interesting bit that anyone with some business experience might like to comment on is that this would be done in a similar way to open source software projects in terms of payment. i.e. voluntary donation at the users’ discretion. Well, up to a point anyway. As far as providing expertise and information is concerned, I could see that voluntary contributions based on the client’s perception of it’s worth would be fair but if any actual hand-on work was required then there would have to be an understanding in place that paypal transactions would take place.

All of this is just blue-sky thinking, of course. I’d be interested in anyone’s comments on any of the above!
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

03-03-2011, 04:06 PM
Hmmm... Interesting that I posted this last night and there have been no replies! This worries me. I'm sure that nearly everyone who visits Dogsey uses their home computers to perform online transactions that contain sensitive personal information (credit card details.) and also use them to store personally valuable data (Photos of their pups/children etc.). I'm equally sure that a large percentage do so using systems that are less secure than they ideally should be! To me, it looks like that inertia thing prevents otherwise sensible, responsible people from sitting down and really considering the potential consequences.

I've said it before, but computers are NOT appliances! They are POWERFUL tools. You need to treat them with respect and have at least some idea of what you're doing and what your system is doing to lessen the risk of it all ending in tears. Of course, it's all a case of assessing risks and deciding what steps YOU need to take to get control of the situation and minimise the problems you might face. I fear that a lot of people haven't thought it through and probably aren't really aware that they should - referring back to my unawareness point.

Well, 'rant' over! If anyone want's more information, I'm always contactable.
Gresh
New Member!
Male 

16-04-2011, 08:42 PM
Firstly I am new here, so I know nothing about you or others opinion, and don't want to cause any offence.....

In my opinion, having tried to install Linux on a few machines, I struggle with it, a consultancy may work, but would I pay? I'm afraid not. If I found Linux necessary I would invest the time on working out the niggles, like working out how to find the appropriate drivers. But I find windows works well, especially if you run programs such as Avast! Anti Virus, and CCleaner. I appreciate that this is not necessary with Linux, but I tend to be quite loyal to brands that work for me. I have no love for uncle Bill, but Windows generally works.

I guess I haven't been much help really, but the information is out there to find, if you are prepared to look. That said, apathy rules in this country, so I guess most people will stick with what they know.

A quick tip for those sticking with windoze, USE FIREFOX and add adblockplus.

Regards

Gresh
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2011, 08:51 PM
rich, maybe no-one replies because they are all happy with their computers?

I certainly wouldn't pay someone to install a FREE OS on my computer

If I wanted Linux I would get Linux. I really don't. I'm not stupid. I built my pc from scratch, after much research. I also bought Windows
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2011, 08:56 PM
tbh I use windows because when I was in industry it was windows we used so I kept to the same operating system so I could seamlessly use the same stuff
Most of my friends are in IT, they all know about linux, a few of them have linux installed - but they also all use windows/apple stuff

Honestly I have been on windows 7 for a year now and I love it
I know how to use it

I am sure I could learn to use linux no problem
thing is if it becomes mainstream whats gonna stop it becoming a virus magnet?
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

19-04-2011, 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
thing is if it becomes mainstream whats gonna stop it becoming a virus magnet?
That is an interesting point... I am sure that if Linux on the desktop were to become mainstream then there would be more of a problem. I'm also sure that the only problem would be users socially engineered into installing malware. There would not be an issue with viruses and so-on spreading without users' knowledge like there is with Windows because of 'nix systems' inherently better security!

Don't forget, Linux IS mainstream. We all use it every day we're online when we go to Google or well known social sites etc. (Maybe even dogsey.com too!) Also, Android phones run the Linux kernel as do Kindles etc. I know there have been issues with Android malware but AFAIK, it is as I mentioned earlier. Users installing 'apps' from untrusted sources not picking up an infected file from a website or email etc.

Anyway, thanks for the comments so far. Interesting...