Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
cornishmals
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-01-2010, 01:01 PM

Never under estimate the joys of an elderly rehome

Having always had our dogs from pups,we never thought about rehoming an elderly dog.Although we have helped were we can for breed rescue - home assesments,advice etc we thought our family was pretty well complete (though always room for one more LOL).A while back our CED breeder mentioned that she was having an elderly boy returned.We all thought it was a shame that a 12 year old had to uproot sticks and move on but as he was going back to his original breeder,he couldn't have a better home.However we heard a few weeks later he wasn't doing well.He couldn't cope with kennels,was crying constently,not eating.So after a chat with my OH we brought Spook into our lives.A 12 year old Alaskan Malamute!He is an absolute joy - despite asking to go out at 3am the last 3 nights to lie in the snow.Hes polite excellent manners,gets on well with the other Woos,eats like a horse and after 2 weeks we have weaned him off that awful Bakers onto BARF.His only down side was smelly tartar covered teeth,but after a few raw meaty bones they have come up a treat.He is a truly loyal loving Mal that deserves to spend his twilight years in a happy secure home.What I am trying to say is never ever over look taking on an elderly rehome or rescue.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2010, 01:08 PM
What a lovely story and well done for giving him such a lovely home for his twilight years
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2010, 01:34 PM
good on you. glad he found a loving new home in his twilight years.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2010, 02:09 PM
Aww, well done on giving him a home (though as you say, I'm sure you are reaping the rewards).

our first rescue was an 8 or 9 year old - he was a lovely boy and I completely agree with you about just what joy they bring
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2010, 02:09 PM
Good for you! What a happy ending for the gorgeous old gentleman!
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2010, 02:13 PM
Aww...lovely -Glad he has settled in his last home well
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2010, 02:14 PM
Well done, he does look a love
cornishmals
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-01-2010, 02:29 PM
Spooks breeder also has a male 6 year old CED returned to her and is looking for a forever home.PM me for details.Jude
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2010, 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by cornishmals View Post
Having always had our dogs from pups,we never thought about rehoming an elderly dog.Although we have helped were we can for breed rescue - home assesments,advice etc we thought our family was pretty well complete (though always room for one more LOL).A while back our CED breeder mentioned that she was having an elderly boy returned.We all thought it was a shame that a 12 year old had to uproot sticks and move on but as he was going back to his original breeder,he couldn't have a better home.However we heard a few weeks later he wasn't doing well.He couldn't cope with kennels,was crying constently,not eating.So after a chat with my OH we brought Spook into our lives.A 12 year old Alaskan Malamute!He is an absolute joy - despite asking to go out at 3am the last 3 nights to lie in the snow.Hes polite excellent manners,gets on well with the other Woos,eats like a horse and after 2 weeks we have weaned him off that awful Bakers onto BARF.His only down side was smelly tartar covered teeth,but after a few raw meaty bones they have come up a treat.He is a truly loyal loving Mal that deserves to spend his twilight years in a happy secure home.What I am trying to say is never ever over look taking on an elderly rehome or rescue.
ME SO JEALOUS !!! Spook sounds absolutely WONDERFUL !! I laughed until I cried at the old git having to go out and lie down in the snow at 3 am in the morning, bless his heart !!

And you are such a lady after my own heart with the "awful Bakers" remark. Isn't it absolutely foul stuff. We rescued Tai when he was 5 - Tai is an Alaskan Mal cross Siberian Husky - and his teeth were absolutely disgusting, still are, but a lot less absolutely disgusting if you know what I mean! We put him straight onto BARF the moment we picked him up, and he has never looked back. He is at the moment lying out in the snow crunching up a huge juicy turkey neck !!
cornishmals
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-01-2010, 06:20 PM
Well Spook has had a lovely day out in the snow,has laid down in it,rolled in it and wooed in delight.
[IMG]http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww10/cornish
mals/spook.jpg[/IMG]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >