Our sister sites
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2009, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Try here

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

I've got Norton on this PC and AVG on the one upstairs which is now Hannah's. My Laptop (which is a work one) has McAfee. They all just have what came with and to be fair we've never had any major issues.

Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal is one which I know a lot of people go on about.

Some more here

http://antivirus.about.com/od/antivi.../aatpavwin.htm
Originally Posted by leo View Post
Regardless of what browser you use the problem is with your protection software you have installed you need a better one that scans all HTTP code traffic that comes in to your pc (it doesn’t take long as all web pages are text behind what you see)
(Example web page code)
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico">
<style type="text/css">
div#container
{
width: 950px;
position: relative;
margin-top: 0px;
margin-left: auto;
margin-right: auto;
text-align: left;
}
body
{
text-align: center;
margin: 0;
}
</style>
<script type="text/javascript" src="./jscookmenu.js"></script>
<style type="text/css">
.ThemeMenuBar2Menu,
.ThemeMenuBar2SubMenuTable

It is not the users fault that this happened if the correct protection was installed it wouldn’t of happened as it would of scanned the incoming code and the page wouldn’t even been displayed on your pc as the antivirus software blocks access to it so the b browser couldn’t decode the incoming code and display it on your VDU so it doesn’t get to your temp internet files and to cause havoc on your system.
It also has properly implanted its self into your system restore files as well so if you done a restore it will still be there afterward as not all antivirus/ spyware can scan system restore files this location is. C:\System Volume but you won’t be able to see it as it his hidden and you need to change your folder view to be able to see this file and change system security to access it (not recommended).
Unfortunately this sort of thing has to happen to allow you to see the floors in your own security arrangements on your system only to improve them to reduce the risk of it happening again.
You mentioned AVG I don’t now if this is the free one or not but the free one does claim to have a HTTP code scanner with it as does the paid version it whichever one it is obviously didn’t do its job as you wouldn’t be going through what you are now.

I use kaspersky anti virus
Thanks both,
Really appreciate the info

Leo it was AVG 9 but the free one,obviously it missed this virus so I need to upgrade to a better anti virus.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-12-2009, 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
Thanks both,
Really appreciate the info

Leo it was AVG 9 but the free one,obviously it missed this virus so I need to upgrade to a better anti virus.
i dont think you need to pay for a new anti virus.

free AVG does the job.

all you need to do is once your PC is cleaned up, just dont click on any such link again.
and get rid of it as i recommended my last post.
i've had these things come up on my PC from time to time and did just that and i have AVG.
so now worries.
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

21-12-2009, 10:24 AM
Is there any reason whatsoever that you can't ditch Windows and start using a system that isn't (as) vulnerable to malware? Rage Against The Machine got to number one. Maybe that's a sign that people need to stop and think about what they are being sold. Do you really want to keep propping up the huge industry that centres on Windows malware removal for the sake of 'convenience'? (How worrying about malware infections is convenient is beyond me!)

And before anyone trots out the old myth about market size = amount of malware written for the platform, that's rot! Some systems are, by design, less vulnerable! Windows is, by design, vulnerable. I work 'in IT'. I know this!
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-12-2009, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post

free AVG does the job.
I don't think so it missed this one

You get what you pay for

Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post

just dont click on any such link again..
How are they going to know that?

Thats why you install software to catch these things for you because you don't know if its safe or not one link looks like another.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-12-2009, 07:56 PM
r
How are they going to know that?

Thats why you install software to catch these things for you because you don't know if its safe or not one link looks like another.
I already answered that in my first post.
Once you have the advice, they are easy to recognise.

You close them down as i have described in my first post.

I've down exactly all of that whilst still having an anti virus programme i didn't pay for.

Also, assuming, despite the information i have provided, you still cant tell the fake links to the genuine links, their is another obvious way to deal with the dilemma......
.........just dont click on any unsolicited 'anti-virus' links at all.
In fact, if you are that uncertain, just dont click on any type of unsolicited links.
The same advice you would get over emails you are uncertain about.

Thus, you still dont need to pay for an anti-virus programme to achieve any of this.

I'm not saying their arent other reasons why a paid programme like Kaspersky is good.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-12-2009, 12:23 AM
That’s fine when you’re talking adults but this problem orientated from a child clicking on a link that’s why you need software to protect systems for this.
If AVG did its job right in the first place it wouldn’t even been displayed for the link to be clicked on so this problem wouldn’t exist in the first place.

We are talking lay users who don’t have the technical knowhow on how to spot doggy links even though you have told them how to spot them most people wouldn’t expect anything to come through a website link that’s why programs like AVG should do as they claim.

I do not trust AVG as far as I can throw it
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-12-2009, 07:39 AM
That’s fine when you’re talking adults but this problem orientated from a child clicking on a link that’s why you need software to protect systems for this.
If AVG did its job right in the first place it wouldn’t even been displayed for the link to be clicked on so this problem wouldn’t exist in the first place.

We are talking lay users who don’t have the technical knowhow on how to spot doggy links even though you have told them how to spot them most people wouldn’t expect anything to come through a website link that’s why programs like AVG should do as they claim.

I do not trust AVG as far as I can throw it
good point on the kid front

although i will say its not that technical to recognise these things.

i and my fiance are lay users,and we managed.
the hand as cursor thing is pretty much an obvious giveaway, ad like anything, once you know the signs, it's pretty easy.
also, everyone knows the old adage dont click on any emails you dont recognise, the same could apply here?

kaspersky is a good anti-virus, but if people are short of dosh, like me, AVG.combined with spybot and windows defender, keeps your PC clean.
as a non techie myself, AVG always pops up virus warnings and blockers, so thats all i judge it on.
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

22-12-2009, 08:10 AM
As I alluded to in a previous post, the lengths you have to go to in order to secure Windows for family use is amazing/appalling and a complete mystery to me why people put up with it. PLEASE tell me what is keeping you all locked in!!!
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-12-2009, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by rich c View Post
PLEASE tell me what is keeping you all locked in!!!
It might be the lack of the latest editions programs that are available directly for the Linux operating system not hybrid versions also ones that are fully supported by the original manufacture.
I dare say that office for the Mac wouldn't have come about if they hadn't done a deal with MS.

As the Linux world is not the one I frequent I don't know what is and not available.
Every time you pick up a piece of hardware or software and look at the pc spec required for use the only reference is made to windows and Mac until game makers and software programmers include Linux I feel they will always be on the outside why would developers use valuable time and money on products if they are not going to be sold they just wouldn’t do it.

Most people just want to get it home get it installed and forget about it with the least amount of hassle involved, without going to websites to ask for help.

The other reason is the unknown factor how many people know what Linux is or what it is used for.
If you went down to your local town centre and did a survey just by using images of each brand how well do you think Linux would fair?
To make this os more popular outside of the professional PC World it has to have a mass injection of money to advertise and to go on the road to promote what it is what is available for it and for people to test drive it.
MS has been in the work place for ages this is where most people in the past first had interaction with MS/ products and Linux is playing catch up.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2009, 02:57 PM
Hi Guys,

It makes sense to me,however trying to explain it to a 13 yr old with special needs really is complicated

I have told them time and time again never to click anything but you know what kids are like

I do agree AVG should have picked up that virus and prevented it from getting in especially when kids and one with Dyslexic tendancies uses the PC.
So I will be buying and installing a better anti virus,hopefully to prevent this happening again.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >