Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2009, 07:09 PM

2 hard drives, 1 partition needed

Does anyone know how to convert a C drive and a D drive into one without losing files. I really need my laptop to have just one partition. I know there is software that can be bought but thought id test your brains first lol.

Ive done it once before but i really cant think of how i done it.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2009, 07:43 PM
There`s some free software called Partition Magic? But my techie says personally he`d leave as it is.
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2009, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
There`s some free software called Partition Magic? But my techie says personally he`d leave as it is.
I had a look at the partition magic but it looked a bit weird to me. I really need to put the 2 hard drives into one as the two i have all the data is only going onto one and then is saying something like ' low disk space' and starts shutting things down that im doing. Even tho the other hard drive has 70gb free. I just dont understand why its doing this
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

23-11-2009, 12:00 AM
Logical Disk Manager sounds like what you want. No idea how it works though.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-11-2009, 10:22 AM
Merging Partions is dodgy at the best of times especially when you are using your main drive C: and risk losing everything in C: or corrupting the MBR so a reformat would have to be carried out.

The software in the link below I have provided will sort out your partions for you it's a free open source software that you will have to burn to a CD for it to work.

Having 2 partions can help you if you ever had to format your C: drive if you store all your pictures and music on the second drive if you ever had to do a reinstall of your operating system then all the files on the second partion would still be there when the os is reintalled.

I have one drive partioned like you and have another that is a seperate drive installed on my system I also have a virtual CD drive.

GParted
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

23-11-2009, 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by leo View Post
Merging Partions is dodgy at the best of times especially when you are using your main drive C: and risk losing everything in C: or corrupting the MBR so a reformat would have to be carried out.
Agreed! Given the statement in my post above about having no idea how the tool to manage partitions in Windows works and Leo's observation I've quoted probably your best bet is to do some housekeeping & move a few files/folders to even out the space across your two directories. Maybe even consider shunting some off to an external drive for use when you really need it. Messing with partitions can so very easily end in tears...
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2009, 02:06 PM
yes i agree, im trying to move some things over to my D drive but its taking ages. I already have an external hard drive with 500gb of space but the software i use on my computer every day seems to be taking a lot of space up. Ill keep plodding on and see how i go lol.

Thanks for all your advice guys