Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ume chika
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-10-2010, 11:49 AM

Itchy flaky skin and chewing paws

My dog jack has been having trouble with itchy flaky skin and chewing his paws, he chewed a hole right though one of his pads a while back and caused proper bleeding, we have tried hypoallergenic natural dog food which has lessend it but its not gone away, we also use johnsons baby shampoo, (recommended by our vet) but he still has its tiny dandruff like flakes and we tell him off everytime he starts chewing a paw, so now he licks them a lot, what else can we do?
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-10-2010, 11:59 AM
Speak to your vet again. You can get different shampoos, creams etc. We put Toby on salmon and potato food which helps. The vet also suggested evening primrose oil so he has a capsule of that each day plus some herbs from CSJ. I have aloe vera gel and calendula oil for when he is sore.

If he just won't stop itching we put a buster (elizabethan) collar on him just to stop him making it really sore.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-10-2010, 08:52 AM
Originally Posted by ume chika View Post
My dog jack has been having trouble with itchy flaky skin and chewing his paws, he chewed a hole right though one of his pads a while back and caused proper bleeding, we have tried hypoallergenic natural dog food which has lessend it but its not gone away, we also use johnsons baby shampoo, (recommended by our vet) but he still has its tiny dandruff like flakes and we tell him off everytime he starts chewing a paw, so now he licks them a lot, what else can we do?
Hi Helen what are you feeding Jack on, I would have a good look at his diet , that may be the cause of his problem.
I would feed him good quality food with a minimum of additives.

The very last shampoo I would use on any dog would be baby shampoo, dogs have a different Ph skin balance to humans and baby shampoo is unsuitable and can cause skin problems
Better to buy a good quality mild shampoo specifically for dogs and use it very rarely.
ume chika
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-10-2010, 08:45 AM
we have changed his diet several times and use a natural good quality recommended dry food. we have looked into a different shampoo but they dont seem to make any difference. i wil look into the evening primose oil though and the gel/ creams thanks!
Vodkalass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-10-2010, 09:03 AM
Took one of my boys to the vets with this problem last night.
He got a steroid injection and some special shampoo. We have to shampoo him twice a week for a few wks.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2010, 09:14 AM
This is so weird, since Henry had the ear infection following being attacked, he has been chewing his feet and really itchy, although his skin is absolutely fine but he is moulting really badly.

I have spoken to the vet who said that ear infections can make them itchy elsewhere, especially the feet, and if I can't get on top of it he will prescribe some shampoo and balm for the feet. Henry no longer has the ear infection but one of the bite wounds on his neck has become red and itchy so I wonder if there is something brewing under the skin.

At the weekend I started him on the Piriton liquid once a day, started his ear drops again, twice a day and changed his food from Eukanuba to Arden Grange Hyperallergenic. I also bathed him last night in coal tar shampoo. This was all done with the ok from my vet as he knows he will be straight there if there is no improvement, as I can't drive at the moment I have to rely on Clive to take us and he has so much work on that I am trying various options before I give up and take him. Had I been able to drive I would have taken him at the weekend when it really flared up. I must admit that, although he is still itchy, it is no where near like the manic chewing he was doing to his feet.

I just assumed it was something he was going through, although I don't think it's the setter itch as we've had him 3 months now and he showed no signs of it whatsoever until he started itching where his bandages were, but to read of other dogs with similar symptoms is a bit of an eye opener
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2010, 09:21 AM
Deacon has atopy and his feet really do get a beating when he is itching.. I cleanse them with hibiscrub and either put on sudocreme/e45/dermacton cream. He also gets evening primrose oil and salmon oil daily. It does ease the condition alot. Also bathing him in a shampoo of aloe vera and oatmeal helps, think it is called coatex from the vet, costs £15 but helps.
Sometimes itchy feet can be caused by field mites/ear mites and thornits in the ears and on paws helps that too.