View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bubba
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-08-2005, 12:18 PM

Smelly dog with allergies, suggestions please.

Hi everyone,

I am hoping someone out there can give me some advice for Buster.

He is the smelliest dog that I know, and I mean bad.

We have to be careful as he has so many allergies and his fur falls out and his skin get irritated very easily. But no matter what we do he absolutely reeks. The vet gave us Malaseb? and mite washes (even though he doesn't have mites?) and I have tried tea-tree, lavender and chamomile all on seperate occasions.

His ears, teeth and anal glands are kept clean and healthy, so it must be his skin/fur.

I don't mind the usual doggy smell, but this is beyond belief. Any ideas that could help make him a little sweeter smelling.

hugggggerz

Buster ("awwww mum, don't tell them I smell") and Tess
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-08-2005, 12:29 PM
Seborrhea? Is your vet treating him for this, or suggested that this may be the problem? If so, is it Primary or Secondary?

If you search Google for seborrhea+dogs you will find information and suggested treatments or ways to deal with it.
Bubba
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-08-2005, 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by Shadowboxer
Seborrhea? Is your vet treating him for this, or suggested that this may be the problem? If so, is it Primary or Secondary?

If you search Google for seborrhea+dogs you will find information and suggested treatments or ways to deal with it.

The vet has had allergy tests done on buster, the main problem being an allergy to Cotton, grass, pollen, house dust mite and wheat. This can cause the skin to flare up terribly, causing bald patches, sore red patches and scratching he is also chewing at his feet.

The vet had vaccines made up for him in Holland, and that did help for about 1 month but did not help with the smell. Buster was very sick on anti-inflammatories and anti-biotics, vomiting almost non stop, until he could only heave, so the vet gave me shampoo for him.

Long and short of it, he still smells terribly even with the regular vaccines and twice weekly shampoo from the vet.

Thank you for the advice, I have googled seborrhea+dogs and I am reading it now.

Hugggerz

Tess and Buster
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-08-2005, 01:01 PM
Hi what are you feeding, if the diet does not agree with the dog that can make him smelly too, if you feed a complete food and do not already do so try one of the wheatless holistic ones like Burns..details on their web site 'Burns pet nutrition '
Bubba
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-08-2005, 01:04 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha
Hi what are you feeding, if the diet does not agree with the dog that can make him smelly too, if you feed a complete food and do not already do so try one of the wheatless holistic ones like Burns..details on their web site 'Burns pet nutrition '
He has a wheat and gluten free complete diet. The only one he can digest properly and not suffer any effects is the Well Beloved range (not advertising, just saying)

Thanks though

Hugggerz
Tess and Buster
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2005, 04:56 PM
I have the same problem with my white g.s.d. who has terrible skin probs, although I keep it well under control now with Piriton tabs twice a day, and if I don't, or try to weane him off them, he starts itching, scratching and gnawing and I have great big red hot spots all over him, but mostly on his legs. He also scratches his belly every time he gets up off the floor. I use the Malaseb shampoo nearly every morning underneath him and on his legs when I get the hose out on him, and this does seem to keep that smell away, as the way you describe it, I have the same with him when I'm not shampooing him, say, every other day. It's almost like a bacteria type smell with him. I also make sure I give him a good combe through at least every other day, I know you're only supposed to comb once a week, but this does help, as when I haven't done it for a few days, he will start again. Another bit of advice from my own vet, (he treated this dog for 5yrs. before I had him when he was half bald most of the time with oozing bare skin wealds all over his body and no hair on his tail) was to keep him on the food he had recommended which is Wafcol salmon and potato, and when I saw him the other week he told me the reason he wants him on this food is that salmon contains a drug that is very beneficial to the skin as well as the other oils. Just a thought for you to consider, as I don't think it would contain anything that you dog can't have? they are very helpful on their website and their nutritionalist will reply to any mail you send.
My dog too also had all the allergy testing with his previous owner at a cost of hundreds of pounds, only to find he is allergic to almost everything, and was living on steroids and anti-biotics for the first 5yrs. of his life until he came to me and I discovered the benefits of Piritons, so in the first instance I think you should try those to see if they help? Ask you vet,but they know we use them and they are quite safe, but you must get the "drowsy" ones (cheaper) not the ones that don't cause drowsiness, for some reason, but I can't tell you why. They act on the immune system to stop it going into overdrive with the things he is allergic too and they shouldn't make him sick or ill. Good luck with Tess!
Bubba
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-08-2005, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54
I have the same problem with my white g.s.d. who has terrible skin probs, although I keep it well under control now with Piriton tabs twice a day, and if I don't, or try to weane him off them, he starts itching, scratching and gnawing and I have great big red hot spots all over him, but mostly on his legs. He also scratches his belly every time he gets up off the floor.
Good luck with Tess!
Thank you so much for this advice. I am definitely going to try Piriton tabs.

He used to be on Wafcol, but it gave him very bad tummy upsets. Even on freshly cooked turkey or chicken he would get all itchy again. He seems ok on James Wellbeloved, so I will persist for the time being.

thanks again,

huggggerz

Tess and itchy Buster
Jamie.
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-01-2006, 05:12 AM
salmon oil does wonders for their skin. i have a german shepard that itches and scratches and does odd things when she isn't on it. the trick is to get her to take it now as she has decided she nolonger likes it!!!! i haven't found it in a tablet form around here yet so i have become very " creative" in hidding in her food.