Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2010, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
Maybe they did.. but hey got everyone talking huh? not sure what you mean by that bit Chaz, the breeders and showers did what
Shaved the cc and bred a dog that has to lie on ice with a fan on it to maintain its body temperture, which having a flat face and heavy coat its not too surprising really but whatever the thoughts are on either things the mag just showed them, and if breeders/showers have no problems with them things why be upset by pics of it being shown.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-08-2010, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
I have met many people (as I stated) who have dogs I would consider unfit and/or overweight - and they cannot see it.

As to competing - I have 1 purebred dog who is 3 - she has been shown a couple of times in open shows locally. That is my personal experience.

I have, however, been to multiple shows (including Crufts) and been lucky enough to be with people who show to championship level and have been doing it a very long time. I value their opinions and have been quite startled when they have pointed out to me obvious faults on the dogs that have been put up over others. However - I was responding the the fact the DD said any person (not specifically a judge) can tell if a dog is unfit.
There is not a dog born, that has not got an "obvious fault" even champions.

The judge who places a dog with obvious faults, may in his opinion, think, said dogs obvious faults are not as bad as other dogs obvious faults!!
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2010, 02:38 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
but whatever the thoughts are on either things the mag just showed them, and if breeders/showers have no problems with them things why be upset by pics of it being shown.
when your passionate about a breed, that is being portrayed in the wrong way for the wrong reasons, You may learn to understand why people get annoyed/upset with such pictures/articles.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2010, 02:42 PM
DD although its a new test it would be nice if the kc were more proactive on the health side then say 'in all likelihood' it would be nicer to have a set date, and have it listed under the ABS asap, its known, and of tested dogs almost 1/4 are carriers, which is high, although I'm not sure how many are affected, and although being a carrier isn't the end of the world, I'm sure you'll agree it is important to know to prevent dogs being born affected, but with the kc blaming the breed club, and the breed clud telling a owner that its already mandatory under kc rules, and no puppy of untested parents able to be registered, how confusing would that be for potential owners? It seems both need to learn to communicate with each other more for a better understanding, and also to help the dogs.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2010, 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
when your passionate about a breed, that is being portrayed in the wrong way for the wrong reasons, You may learn to understand why people get annoyed/upset with such pictures/articles.
Almost daily I have people ask me about the myths surrounding Lurchers/Greyhounds and the like I've been told their aggresive, small dog and just mindless killers, and also been judged when walking them (if you've lurchers and look scruffy from walking through miles of fields people tend to avoid you as much as possible lol) I just tell them the truth, if they don't believe me thats their problem not mine, and if because of thier issues they don't have the chance to be in the company of a nice hound thats their loss not mine
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

24-08-2010, 03:11 PM
Almost daily I have people ask me about the myths surrounding Lurchers/Greyhounds and the like I've been told their aggresive, small dog and just mindless killers, and also been judged when walking them (if you've lurchers and look scruffy from walking through miles of fields people tend to avoid you as much as possible lol) I just tell them the truth, if they don't believe me thats their problem not mine, and if because of thier issues they don't have the chance to be in the company of a nice hound thats their loss not mine
What about health tests Chaz, what information do you give to would be owners that are interested in owning a Lurcher.

What health questions should a prospective owner ask the breeder (if they are getting a pup from a breeder) , did your breeder do any the relevant health screening on your dogs parents ???

you say , you are passionate about your type of dogs, yet never have you mentioned the fact that you enquired about health tests , ensuring the offsprings will be "fit for purpose, fit for life"!
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2010, 03:38 PM
I was 14 when I got Honey, 15 when I got Diesel, I didn't chose the breeder of Honey but did draw attention to the advert for Diesels breeder, I had settled on wanting a EBT, and picked out the breeder I wanted before getting Honey who health tests, but my parents wouldn't have a pedigree because what had happened in the past, the dogs parents were not health tested, and for some reason lurcher breeders don't really test from what I know, and tbh I'm not sure why, or what the health tests would be, as they would be different for each cross you have but I generally tell people about rescues just for lurchers and greyhounds, and if they want to know more I tell them of a rescue forum, and have some numbers that they can call for advice if they want to learn more about them or want to know more about getting one.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

24-08-2010, 03:51 PM
I was 14 when I got Honey, 15 when I got Diesel, I didn't chose the breeder of Honey but did draw attention to the advert for Diesels breeder, I had settled on wanting a EBT, and picked out the breeder I wanted before getting Honey who health tests, but my parents wouldn't have a pedigree because what had happened in the past, the dogs parents were not health tested, and for some reason lurcher breeders don't really test from what I know, and tbh I'm not sure why, or what the health tests would be, as they would be different for each cross you have but I generally tell people about rescues just for lurchers and greyhounds, and if they want to know more I tell them of a rescue forum, and have some numbers that they can call for advice if they want to learn more about them or want to know more about getting one.
If you were 14 and knew of the importance of health testing for the EBT, you must have been aware of the fact all dogs can suffer from hereditary problems passed down from untested dogs, otherwise you would not have bothered to look into good breeders of EBT.

I`m just finding it a bit odd, that you are so passionate about health tests and dogs being bred "fit for function" yet none of the same passion, is directed towards those who breed crossbreeds, of a certain type,

If someoen was telling you they wanted labradoodle, you would inform them of the importance of making sure tests have been done for both breeds involved.

Yet, what would you say if someone wants a longdog, and its cross was a greyhound x something... why is it that you dont include the same thinking,.

You dont seem to mind that breeders of lurchers/longdos, dont do any testing, yet you have a big problem with the KC /breed clubs of pedigrees, because they are not working quickly enough to eradicate health issues.

Seems a bit of hypocrisy is going on here, unless the lurcher/longdog, is 100% free from any genetic health issues!!
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2010, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Isn't it just. I even read one judge in the dog papers complaining about how exhibitors trim the dogs ears???? Talk about picky!

I do agree with presentation as a whole being important and those that put in a lot of effort are bound to get noticed and more likely to be pulled out. What concerns me is some judges obsession with "looks", it's what has changed the English Springer from this...

1970's

to this....

To be fair to many in the breed though, this is now changing thankfully. More and more of the dogs in the ring these days don't look like this, they do have less coat. I do wonder, though, if it's down to breeding the trait out or cutting the coat off?
I tend to think Charlie needs a trim when he starts looking like the first, let alone the second! Imagine the sticky willies in that
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2010, 04:16 PM
I don't like any breeder who doesn't health test, but I wasn't planning on getting a Longdog, infact Honey was a quick buy, got the paper, dropped my sister off for work and my parents chose what we were getting, first litter they wanted (collie x dobe) had already all got homes, second litter, Honeys litter were all still there, we got her that night, not a ideal way to get a dog by any standards, but thats what happened, now Honey is a longdog Saluki x Greyhound, I would recommend someone who was looking to getting one of the same cross to look up both breeds, and ask for the health tests for them breeds, which as far as I remember Greyhounds don't have any and Saluki's can suffer from Von Willebrands Disease and Hypothyroidism and hip scoring would be good too, but them things are off the top of my head, if I were to look into getting another I would look at the list I have on my computer, I'm also hoping soon to get both of my dogs tested for things that can occur in the breeds in them.
Page 10 of 35 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 20 > Last »