Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vicki_Ann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-11-2011, 10:45 AM

URGENT - Home needed for 6 month old Italian Mastiff pup

I have promised to help a friend with this one.

This pup was brought home by my friend's brother, who has now upped and left without said pup. My friend's Mum is undergoing treatment for cancer and they all cannot cope with a bouncy 6 month old Italian Mastiff in the home plus nobody has time or knowledge really for training.

Spike has already been given away once to a home that sounds awful - he was thrown in with the family's staffie, got into a fight and was so stressed he didn't eat for 3 days. When he finally ate his tea, the mother of the family put her hand in his food bowl and the family say he 'went for her', so they brought him straight back. She did not require medical attention, so I'm inclined to think Spike was pushed to his absolute limit and growled at the most.

I have urged my friend to not give him away again - and have said I will do my utmost to ensure a suitable home is found for Spike.

Spike is very good natured, good with other dogs when out and about (may need some TLC after his experience with the staffie to stop him becoming reactive - but may not - just a thought), good with children and traffic. Fine on the lead but has never received proper training in how to walk so will need some time spent on that. He will walk by your side until he sees something exciting and then he may well pull you straight over there.

He still mouths hands - but I have instructed my friend in how to start getting him out of this. He is simply a very excitable, bouncy and sweet puppy - but a big one!

He has been vaccinated - but yet to be castrated and chipped.

He is in the West Midlands area but transport can be provided to pretty much anywhere for the right home.

I feel Spike needs an owner who is experienced with big breeds and has plenty of time to get him on the right track at this critical time in his life.

This is very urgent as certain members of my friend's family will just give Spike away to anyone again if he stays there too long. I have bought him about a week before anything further is done.

I would love to have Spike myself, but the situation just isn't right.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2011, 11:26 AM
I strongly urge you to hand the dog to a good Rescue organisation. This breed is being used for status dog breeding etc atm or he may be used as a bait dog.
Rescue organisations will home-check, neuter, demand a contract, do follow ups etc. Things that a `civilian` will not be able to do easily.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-11-2011, 11:34 AM
Get in touch with the Neapolitan Mastiff rescue, they will be the best place for you to get help.

We had a case here a while back when one of our long standing members rescued one from a PF, and she had help from said rescue , they were incredible good, but sadly the dog dies before anything could be done.

Will have a look to see if I can find the said thread... i am sure they rescue came here to talk to us too,
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

03-11-2011, 12:57 PM
Murf found it

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=104426
Vicki_Ann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-11-2011, 01:05 PM
Thank you very much for all your help. I will get in contact and see if we can get a placement for Spike with the rescue.
I do not want to see him end up as a status dog or sire to status dogs!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

03-11-2011, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki_Ann View Post
Thank you very much for all your help. I will get in contact and see if we can get a placement for Spike with the rescue.
I do not want to see him end up as a status dog or sire to status dogs!
Good luck, I am sure they will help you out.
Vicki_Ann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-11-2011, 04:59 PM
Spike is being turfed out this weekend and the suggested rescue is bad! They do not homecheck, temperament check and never refuse a home so long as the new owners are aware their £100 compulsary donation is non-refundable if they should choose to return the dog and they cannot say anything much about any dog's temperament!
I am desperately trying to contact rescues as I cannot even house him for a day myself as I am not living in my own place. I have persuaded my Mum to house him until Monday but after that she will not.
He is a cane corso I am pretty sure rather than a neo.

If anyone can help, please let me know, I am worried sick.
I can do transport within reason, even a safe foster for a week until I can find him a definite spot in rescue would be massive right now. He is in the Midlands.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2011, 05:03 PM
Get in touch with Ruff Luck Rescue they are fab, small and in the area. I am pretty sure they will help.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2011, 05:06 PM
http://www.ruffluckrescue.org.uk/
Hope the link works.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2011, 05:21 PM
Really hope is all working out OK for this dog.....?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >